Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    All great suggestions....some I have done already, but some I have not. As soon as I get the new battery and cables reran, I will go back through the system to check continuity and voltage at the various locations. Once that is done I'll go through this thread post by post and check each suggestion off the list. I'll report back after some testing and let everyone know how it went. In the mean time, if anyone else would like to add anything, I'm all ears. Thanks to all who are contributing! This is what a good forum is all about....you guys definitely have a good thing going here!
    Last edited by plains angler; 04-18-2018 at 04:25 PM.

2. Member
    I made all of the recommended setting changes today. Will be on the water Friday and Saturday......crosses fingers :)

3. Member
    what if u turn off the chirp in shallow water, that what I was going to try if we ever get any weather here so I can get out

4. Banned
    Crazy my symptoms are the same as all of the other Solix owners. Mine also screwed up in shallow water.

5. Member
    Just fyi hgjig....I've tried turning chirp off and in my case, it did not fix the issue.

6. Member
    I made the changes with the depth and gps..3 onix and one solix.. i fished a lake today with a hard bottom and it seemed to fix the double bottom problem . I did have to turn my surface clutter up in less then 5 ft..i had to go back and turn auto config back on for my gps settings because im using one map card and trouble getting all my graphs to see it.. also over the winter i pulled all my 10 and 12 ga wire out and made 1 circuit with 2 fuse blocks(1 at the bow 1 at the consel) using 6ga wire.. each unit is wired directly to the fuse block.
    Seems crazy i had to do all that but it seems to work. All my images are clear all my graphs read 12.8 v except the aolix that reads 13v for some reason..

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basser38 View Post
    I made the changes with the depth and gps..3 onix and one solix.. i fished a lake today with a hard bottom and it seemed to fix the double bottom problem . I did have to turn my surface clutter up in less then 5 ft..i had to go back and turn auto config back on for my gps settings because im using one map card and trouble getting all my graphs to see it.. also over the winter i pulled all my 10 and 12 ga wire out and made 1 circuit with 2 fuse blocks(1 at the bow 1 at the consel) using 6ga wire.. each unit is wired directly to the fuse block.
    Seems crazy i had to do all that but it seems to work. All my images are clear all my graphs read 12.8 v except the aolix that reads 13v for some reason..

Basser,

Regarding your units not reading/sharing the map card, are you using an external GPS antenna or one of the internal ones in the Solix units?

8. Member
    I had all set to there own internal except for my onix 10 i use for 360..it was and still is set for the hs only..

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    I made all of the recommended setting changes today. Will be on the water Friday and Saturday......crosses fingers :)

On the water today for 9 hours..................................Nothing different with all those setting suggestions. bow graph would read 78ft, 48 ft ect ect while in less than 4 feet of water.

DI bottom reading would be so high on the screen you couldn't see the bottom or water column. it would at times be correct but typically would not last more than a few seconds. Then the bottom would be all the way up to the top.

10. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Okay, I had a tourney today and after making some changes suggested I did not lose bottom. However my front solix 12 would not show depth reading but did show bottom. It just says depth ——. Console solix worked fine. These units are frustrating!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    On the water today for 9 hours..................................Nothing different with all those setting suggestions. bow graph would read 78ft, 48 ft ect ect while in less than 4 feet of water.

DI bottom reading would be so high on the screen you couldn't see the bottom or water column. it would at times be correct but typically would not last more than a few seconds. Then the bottom would be all the way up to the top.
    How are your units wired?
    Have you tried setting up a single unit without any accessories or ethernet network to determine if the problem may be network related?

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwifishnut View Post
    How are your units wired?
    Have you tried setting up a single unit without any accessories or ethernet network to determine if the problem may be network related?
    I

I have not tried that. Can you explain why a network issue would cause the problem? I will not hook up the Ethernet cable next time out on either unit.

13. Member
    Some users have had operational problems with multi unit ethernet connected units that were eliminated or significantly reduced when a single unit was disconnected from the network. If the problem is eliminated by disconnecting, this would suggest that there was some issue with the multiple settings on the various head units such that they could not properly communicate with each other sending them into a loop.

Low voltage due to inadequate wiring has been a problem for many solix & onix users. There is a long history of this that goes back to the introduction of the Onix series. Some users have posted on this thread & many other threads on this & other sites regarding this issue. Your problems are similar to those experienced by others, myself included, who have found that their boat's wiring would not provide sufficient voltage to operate these units properly. Many have corrected this by direct wiring their units to a starting battery or "house" battery with 10 gauge or heavier marine grade wire.

Another subset of users have had defective units which HB has replaced or repaired. There is no company in this market that has better customer service than HB.

The recommendation to run your main head unit disconnected from the ethernet is to eliminate network settings as a root cause. Then the potential issues are local unit settings, voltage/wiring & hardware. Based upon the input here, you can tweak the local settings to determine if this corrects the problems. Then it comes down to hardware or voltage/wiring. You haven't indicated how your units are wired, but based upon my personal experience, if you are running a multi head system, that is the first place you may want to start.

14. Banned
    sorry i could only get a couple of videos before the floods hit. Both of these are even using max mode where i would normally use clear mode. I also always use 200 only on the bow.

double bottom in 8ft with correct depth reading

double bottom in 3ft with correct depth reading

I can't go much shallower as my transducer is actually 2ft below the surface, but if i get shallow enough to where the transducer is almost touching bottom, I can get the depth display to freak out.

plains angler I wasn't able to get a brush pile video, but i can see where if you had a pile thick and shallow enough it could cause the same issue with depth reading.

just a quick note to humminbird. we need an app like garmin has so we can vie, control and record our units. it's so much better for making videos.

15. Member
    Update , was out sunday and the solix started freezing up with side scan. But the onix that is using the transduser from the solix ,worked perfect.. i sent one graph back for this same problem and it looks like the new ones doing the same thing.

16. Banned
    sounds like you just have a bad unit. some or you have install issues, battery issues, set up issues or a bad unit.

17. Member
    It just started doing it.. after i made all those changes..its definetly not an instal issue.. the one thing about hummingbird they make alot of junk but there customer service has always been good.. wish i did have to use it so often.

18. Banned
    that would make it a set up issue then. restore defaults and start over

19. Member
    Yes, i have some more playing to do with it ..just thought it qas odd it worked great for a few days set up that way .also thought it was odd that the onix ci was showing good mega pics from the solix that wasnt scrolling..

20. Banned
    that could be a sign the unit is just bad. id work with support and see if you can't get a replacement

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast