Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Banned
    I stayed in shallow water all day today. Spring is the only time we ever fish shallow on lanier. I had double and triple bottom returns all day and never lost bottom or accurate depth reading. I was even running max mode. Sensitive at 3. Everything else is default and bottom is auto like always. All of my source settings are set manually for option 1 and none or all other options.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    I stayed in shallow water all day today. Spring is the only time we ever fish shallow on lanier. I had double and triple bottom returns all day and never lost bottom or accurate depth reading. I was even running max mode. Sensitive at 3. Everything else is default and bottom is auto like always. All of my source settings are set manually for option 1 and none or all other options.
    Well there are too many that do lose the bottom and nothing coming from HB
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    I was losing bottom in shallow water but , then I adjusted settings....no problems since.

I really think some of these problems are just plain adjustment problems. I am not saying all of them are. This is a powerful transducer for extremely shallow water.

I would guess that Humminbird is probably working on some sort of lower power shallow water setting as we speak to be included with the next update. An icon would be handy at the top of the sonar screen that would switch between power levels/depth levels (hint hint Humminbird).

4. Banned
    I’d bet the ,ajorotu are settings issues. The solix is very hot for sure

5. Member
    I finally had enough of this very issue and sent both my Solix units back to them for analysis and repair. Will post when I hear back from them.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

6. Member
    I sent both units in to humminbird for analysis and they replaced one of the units [bad board down imaging only]. The replacement console unit behaved the same as the first, and the same as the bow unit in shallow water. While I can't speak for others, I can confirm that I have experimented with all the setting adjustments recommended......manual depth range 10 foot deeper than the water I am fishing, clear mode on, lowered sensitivity, higher surface clairity, and any other thing I could think of. If you guys have a setting suggestion I am unaware of, I would gladly take it. I need to get this figured out and so far, the only thing that has improved the problem has been when I disconnected from the network. To clarify, I am not sharing anything across the network. No sonar, no settings...just a lakemaster map chip. Each unit has its own transducer. Also of note, I am currently revisiting my power supply situation just for piece of mind. I'm going with an 8ga wire instead of the 10ga I am currently using and and adding a larger battery with much more reserve capacity, so I'll let you guys know how that goes. I'm not sure that isn't over kill, but I guess we'll see. Hopefully I can get it right. It is and has been very frustrating to say the least. Thank you all in advance for any help you may offer.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ntslam View Post
    next time out try this:

go to the main menu, choose network, goto data sources, there will be depth 1 depth 2. Select depth 2. Turn auto config off and select none. This seemed to help some with the onix network find depth quicker
    This approach worked for me as well. Not sure, but I think if a signal is interrupted with auto config on, and a second transducer identified in depth 2. the unit is searching for another transducer that it cannot find.

8. Member
    Thanks guys, I will definitely try that. Anyone else have another suggestion? Its pretty chilly here right now with the recent cold front, but I'll be back on the water testing early next week.

Wow--I was going to buy a 15 Solix and a 360 Going to put on hold for now!! Might look at the Garmin's

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nwifishnut View Post
    This approach worked for me as well. Not sure, but I think if a signal is interrupted with auto config on, and a second transducer identified in depth 2. the unit is searching for another transducer that it cannot find.
    That would explain why I don’t have the issue. All of my source settings are manually set for option 1 and all other options are set to none. I don’t need the unit selecting sources for me

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    That would explain why I don’t have the issue. All of my source settings are manually set for option 1 and all other options are set to none. I don’t need the unit selecting sources for me

this is how my Solix and onix are networked and haven't had any issues as of yet

12. Member
    If you are using an external heading sensor gps puck, you need to go thru the same process with auto config. If there is a signal interruption, the unit starts searching for the backup source. I had an awful time with gps until I figured this out.

13. Member
    Had my Solix 12 out for the first time this week. Worked fine for me at all depths with the factory settings. I bought it used and the guy mentioned it had the latest OS update so maybe thats it ???

Just a random thought as im a newbie to these units.

14. Member
    Mine actually seemed worse after the latest update, but I obviously have other issues going on as well, so who knows. I did leave auto configuration set to on, because it already had selected the proper transducers and gps sources, so i didn't bother with changing it. I will now though.....It hadn't occurred to me that this could be causing problems, but it it does make sense.

If it wasn't colder than a well diggers ass outside I'd try it right now lol.
    Last edited by plains angler; 04-15-2018 at 01:28 PM.

15. Banned
    here are my settings. I have all global settings off on both units and all source settings on manual...even those that have no source. on items such as temp2, temp3, etc that could have a source i have set to none

16. Banned

17. Member
    Thanks for that info.. one question why do some of them say lost after the selection. Is that because your now on the water?

18. Banned
    i only had 1 unit on and had the transducer disabled

19. Member
    Ok thanks again.. ive been dealing withthe double bottom issues on both my onix and now solix.. before the latest update i could fix most of the issues in settings.. but since the latest update it been more difficult..

20. Member
    Troy,

Great post. With your settings, the system isn't trying to find, configure & sync up a bunch of stuff across multiple head units that doesn't exist on the network.

I think that many of the problems people are having with their Solix & Onix units are not hardware related but due to improper software setup and/or voltage related wiring issues. I would suggest that HB needs to address this thru better documentation in the users manual. This should include a section on "optimal performance" wiring & voltage requirements. Also, there needs to be a better explanation in the users manual about how a single or multi head network with accessories should be configured & how it actually works. This would include more information on "global settings" & "auto configure". Despite having these 2 settings covered in the manual, there is still a lot of confusion about what happens if these settings are on vs off. Specific examples of if you set auto configure to "on", this is exactly what happens. Having more detailed information would help consumers who set the units up themselves as well as professional installers who are also a potential weak link in the setup process.

With the integration of Humminbird & Minnkota, Johnson Outdoors has created a "Fishing System" that is absolutely outstanding. And the Solix & Onix units are designed to leverage the maximum user functionality out of networking all of the various sonar, mapping, navigation, i pilot link, etc components within this system. There is nothing on the market close to these units. The competitors are a joke in comparison. If they are setup properly, Solix & Onix are awesome products! But the Solix buyer is going to have to invest some time in learning how to get the maximum performance from their products & the best place to start is with the users manual. HB needs to ensure that the manual gives these buyers the information in a way that they (or a professional installer) can relate to & understand. In my opinion, the current HB users manual information on "wiring", "auto configure" & "global settings" currently doesn't achieve that.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast