Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I've never understood why so many people hate fishing with spinning gear.
    Half of it is probably because people call them “fairy wands” or “sissy sticks”. There are just certain techniques that a spinning rod works better for. Will a baitcaster work? Sure it will. I can pound s nail with a crescent wrench too, but there’s a better tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Half of it is probably because people call them “fairy wands” or “sissy sticks”. There are just certain techniques that a spinning rod works better for. Will a baitcaster work? Sure it will. I can pound s nail with a crescent wrench too, but there’s a better tool for the job.
    Or have baitcast reels that can throw 4lb line on and have a rod that hadles it just fine as well.
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggs247 View Post
    Let me start off by saying I really really hate throwing a spinning rod but I love to finesse fish. Ive wrestled with the idea for a while now of buying me a nice spinning setup to throw wacky rigs, neko rigs and drop shots but is there any way possible I can get away with throwing these rigs on a casting setup?? If so what rod? But if I have to go to a spinning rod which one would yall recommend that wont break the bank!!
    Im with you man.
    Its my preference NOT to use a spinning setup. I think that it just helps me see how far I can push casting gear.
    That being said for rods that will not hit your pockets hard I’d suggest a Kistler H3 med xfast. I have it paired with a Curado 50E and a ktf spool but you can probably find a pxtr at a good price
    the second setup I’d suggest is Daiwa Tatula ags Brent Ehler rod.
    I have a ss sv with 7.9:1 gears and a megabass honeycomb spool. Now you can probably find a good reel like a conquest 50 or a good Shimano reel. You don’t have to goto the extreme on the reels. But certainly those rods I suggested will work.
    I’m fishing deep clear water and they never fail me. If you post in the wtb section you can probably find a crucial casting drop shot rod for a low cost. They thing to remember no mater what you do is the rod and reel must compliment one another in terms of performance. I can send you pictures if you like. Just pm me. I was going to go with the proven Dobyns 702 rod but I went the Kistler route and the NFC blank is superb. Just my humble opinion

Don't neglect looking at the Fenwick Elite Bass Rod lineup, in either spinning or baitcasting. For the money, they are very light and sensitive. I have several in both types. Depending on what I want it for, I will get either a Medium Light Fast or a Medium XFast in spinning rods, anywhere from 6'10" to 7'+ and pair it with a Shimano spinning reel.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    I was the first guy in our local club that started fishing a spinning reel. Man, I took some grief and heard the fairy wand and sissy stick comments a lot. Funny thing is now a lot of the guys are fishing them from time to time. I get great satisfaction mentioning the comments and telling them that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. There are times that the spinning rod is better than the bait caster and I can honestly say after fishing one for many years that I like using it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by g2072 View Post
    I was the first guy in our local club that started fishing a spinning reel. Man, I took some grief and heard the fairy wand and sissy stick comments a lot. Funny thing is now a lot of the guys are fishing them from time to time. I get great satisfaction mentioning the comments and telling them that imitation is the greatest form of flattery. There are times that the spinning rod is better than the bait caster and I can honestly say after fishing one for many years that I like using it.
    I couldn't agree more. Sure you can use a baitcaster for pretty much any finesse application but it doesn't mean it is as efficient in doing so.

7'2 Rapala Concept Ti Spinning.

Trust me this rod is fantastic. Many people would argue that because its not made by Abu, Simano etc. and that Rapala makes it, its not good. I drop shot almost every time out and this rod has been amazing. I HIGHLY recommend you at least give it a look.

https://rapala.ca/products/concept-ti-spinning

I use a steez megatop and a Ian worked pixilla and love it for lite baits
    Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12