Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finesse Rod Help

Let me start off by saying I really really hate throwing a spinning rod but I love to finesse fish. Ive wrestled with the idea for a while now of buying me a nice spinning setup to throw wacky rigs, neko rigs and drop shots but is there any way possible I can get away with throwing these rigs on a casting setup?? If so what rod? But if I have to go to a spinning rod which one would yall recommend that wont break the bank!!

2. Member
    I like St Croix Mojo bass rod. 6'8" extra fast wacky style rod is $130.

I also love that same rod in their Legend Tournament series for $260.

These rods are normally on tackle warehouse Black Friday and Memorial Day sales.

I use these for weightless wacky worms, Nero rigs, Ned rigs and weightless fluke fishing. I got my pb smallmouth last May 7#9oz on the Mojo rod on a baby bass weightless Fluke. I skip a lot of docks and these rods do well on skipping light weightless plastics including 1/10 oz Ned rigs.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

You could do anything you want with a casting rod if you can cast it. The two biggest reasons I personally choose a spinning rod are that I can cast lightweight stuff a LOT further and somewhat more accurately with a spinning rod, and getting baits to sink straight down with a baitcaster is much harder than it is with a spinning rod, particularly those lighter weight baits.

I'm not the most knowledgeable on different rods and features available in the rod market, so I'm probably not the best source there though I will try. I would suggest naming a price range to get some useful input, else you're gonna get a bunch of NRX, K2, and Z-Bone suggestions.

Assuming you want to stick to what I would call a "medium" price range, for a casting setup I'd personally look toward a Daiwa Tatula SV for the reel. That's the best baitcaster for throwing light stuff I've ever come across; it retails for $200, but can be had much cheaper on eBay. For a rod, of the ones I've personally handled, I'd suggest a Phenix Feather in either light (1/8-3/8 oz) or medium light (1/4-5/8 oz). They punch way above their weight class (read: price tag) in sensitivity and are incredibly light and well balanced; retail is $140-150. In fact, comparing a Feather to the K2 that costs 4 times as much, the similarities in feel off the rack and in doing the "carpet drag" trick to test sensitivity was shocking...that's the best comparison to their top-end rod I can offer as I haven't fished and likely never will fish a K2.

For spinning, I'd highly recommend the Daiwa BG for the reel; retails right at $100, but can be had for less on eBay. Buttery smooth, carbon drag, sealed, as fast as Shimano 6.2:1 due to the wide spool, the whole nine yards. Only complaint is the paddle style handles which you can get used to in about 5 minutes. I'd look toward a medium-light Saint Croix for the rod. The 6'10" medium-light Mojo Bass is a great rod for $130, as is the 6'9" medium-light Avid X for $200. Some very good offerings from them in higher price ranges as well. It all depends on what you want to spend. You might also look into Phenix on that side of the coin as well. I haven't had a chance to handle any of the Feather spinning rods yet, though if the casting rods are an indication they'll be a homerun in the $140-$150 range. The M1 7'2" Medium is a fantastic all around spinning rod at $170. (Note that Phenix's "medium" is comparable to most manufacturers' "medium-light"...watch lure weight ratings).
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    The new Phenix Feather Rods are insanely light weight. You could look at something like the 7’1” ML Feather (feels like true ML) casting rod with a Tatula sv as stated, otherwise spinning rod the 7’1” M Feather (more like ML) is what I am using for a lot of those techniques this year, and as stated they do run light for the actions. I will say the ML casting rod feels like a ML, but when you get into their higher power rods they tend to Fish about 1 step down.

5. Member
    St Croix Mojo 6’1 med lite. It’s light enough for drop shots and Ned rigs but has the backbone for wacky and finesse worms.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I have been using the Temple Fork Outfitters GTS DROP Shot casting rod for over a year now and really like it. I have the 7' 3" ML paired with a Curado 200K spooled with 10lb Berkley Crystal Fireline with a flouro leader. Works for every finesse technique I have tried.

7. Member
    St. Croix tournament legend 6’-10”ML with a 30 class reel. Sweet rod!

8. Member
    There are a lot of things you can do with a spinning rod and reel better than casting gear, I would suggest you get a 6' 6" or 7' medium fast with a 2500 or 3000 series reel and give it try. I like to throw a grub on a jig head, shaky head, shad rap's, drop shot, their very versatile, give it try you may like it.

9. Member
    You're going to get 1000 different answers for this. Most of us, me included, just use the same brands we like but in a ML or M power. Reason being is you're already comfortable with the rod mfr and how that brand of rod reacts.

For instance, I own Shimano and St. Croix rods. My St. Croix medium power rods are closer to MH when compared to my Shimano rods. So say I'm looking for a finesse rod - - since I know those 2 mfr's, I would pick a Shimano Med. Or ML power (depending on the action) or a St. Croix ML because the backbone is stiffer.

So you see, there's no definite answer. You're just going to have to buy one because you already have several from the same mfr and comfortable with that brand or buy one from a reputation standpoint albeit from comments on here or other sites.

If you're lucky enough, you'll have a fishing buddy that has different brands than you and try his out and see how they feel.

10. Member
    I just bought a finesse rod last week. This was my thinking process:

Thought about getting an ALX Diplomat. They're a board sponsor and have a good reputation. I also posted a thread on here asking about them performance wise. Didn't get it because I didn't want to spend $220 for a rod and no one was selling a used one.

So it came down to Shimano and St. Croix since I'm familiar with them. I didn't like how the Exage felt in my hand and thought that the Crucial Curado was overpriced (they could have used more double footed guides like their previous version). So that left me with St. Croix.

I finally went with a Mojo 6'10" ML x-fast action. Made from the same material as the Avid but $90 cheaper. It also balanced well on my hand and weighs only 3.8 Oz.

So you see, there's a lot going on when getting a rod (or reel for that matter) other than what other people say. Sure, good suggestions will get you on the right road, but ultimately the answer came from doing my homework and personal preference.
    Last edited by Jaydbee; 04-12-2018 at 09:52 AM.

11. Member
    I've never understood why so many people hate fishing with spinning gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Yes. There are things they will do better than a baitcaster, as well as some things a baitcaster will do better than a spinning reel.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    I use to be that way , when i was younger . No spinning for me .Unless we went to the coast and surf fished.
    But now as i has slowed down .I only pick up a spinning reel most of the time .

14. Member
    Check out Major Craft. Nice rods for the money.

Might want to take a look at the 6'10" ML Villain casting rod. TackleTour's review of the spinning model had me wanting one for an all around finesse rod.

15. Member
    Tackle Tour just did a review on a rod you may be interested in, the Doomsday Tackle '47. I have the exact rod they reviewed and love it for throwing light baits. I use it with a Tatula CT Type R and am amazed at the casting distance.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

16. Member
    I bought a spinning rod/reel several years ago at the FLW championship at Bminham. Seemed like everybody coming across the stage was saying something about a shaky head. When I got home and started fishing it the guys in my club loved to give me grief about my "fairy wand". That was several years ago. Few things in life give me more satisfaction than seeing them fish with a spinning reel now. My set ups are Dobys 703 rods with 2500 series CI4 Shimano reels. I just bought a Tatula that I'm trying and so far it's been good also. If you ever start fishing a spinning reel you will get used to it and will wonder why you didn't use one earlier.

Anytime you're working a bait with the rod, have the line hooked over your index finger. It's easier to do with a spinning reel, although I also hold the line with a baitcaster. You can easily tell the difference between hitting a rock or clump of grass and a fish, I promise! I like a baitcaster for Shakyhead work, but I'll do some crazy chit with a spinning combo.

18. Member
    what reels do you use for skipping light weightless plastics and what kind of line? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z520brewer View Post
    what reels do you use for skipping light weightless plastics and what kind of line? thanks
    Baitcasters? Daiwas with the SV spool seem to be the easiest with the Tatula SV TWS checking in as the cheapest...they can be had far below retail on eBay. I don't think line matters as much. Just go with what you can cast easily. For me that's braid, usually 40-50 lb (10 -12 mono/fluoro equivalent diameter). I have heard people say fluoro is a no-no because it sinks and messes up your skip but I think that's far overblown.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Dobyns 702c..will throw all you ask and more.
    Www.thkustoms.com

"Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!"-Theodore Roosevelt
    USN 2002-2008
    NAS Whidbey Island
    USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71)
    Operation Iraqi Freedom/Operation Enduring Freedom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast