How often do you guys reseal your transoms?

I just bought an 02 Tr21 and my Father bought a 2010 21xs elite. I'm going to pull motor and reseal all of my bolts and what not. Do you think we should do the same on the XS? Also what is the best sealant to use?
    2002 Triton Tr-21 Merc 250 Pro XB OT430582

2. Member
    Is it leaking around the mounting bolts?

3. Member
    As long as the bolts are NOT turned......Never.

4. Member
    Yeah around the mounting bolts and the other stuff that mounts to the transom. The mounting bolts got spun on my Tr 21 so I know I need to reseal them. I'm also adding a swim ladder that was ordered from Triton but never installed so I'll have to seal that up. I'm just more wondering what I should use? Let me clarify it is not "leaking" into the boat around mounting bolts more of I'm just worried about water intrusion into the transom. Thanks

3M 4200 works very well to seal the transom bolts or any penetration.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    3M 4200 works very well to seal the transom bolts or any penetration.
    Ok thank you I'll pick some up today.

7. Member
    Would it be completely necessary to pull the motor just to reseal the mounting bolts? I would think you could simply remove, reseal with 4200 or life seal, and replace each bolt one at a time without worrying with a cherry picker or motor lift.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtreed99 View Post
    Would it be completely necessary to pull the motor just to reseal the mounting bolts? I would think you could simply remove, reseal with 4200 or life seal, and replace each bolt one at a time without worrying with a cherry picker or motor lift.
    ...+1

9. Member
    I like to seal around the holes between the jackplate and transom, before installing the fasteners with sealer.

10. Member
    Triton's don't have any wood at all in the boat so if it does happen to leak it won't cause any damage like a boat with a wood transom and chine does.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdtritn21 View Post
    Triton's don't have any wood at all in the boat so if it does happen to leak it won't cause any damage like a boat with a wood transom and chine does.
    Just because they're composite sure doesn't mean they don't need sealed. The composite it's made of could be anything (resin & sawdust) & it may not rot, but it can absolutley delaminate if water gets to it. Always seal all holes with a marine grade silicone that's made for underwater use. 3M 4200 is the best.
    Last edited by Les Young; 04-15-2018 at 12:02 AM.

12. Member
    Yeah delamination is what I'm worried about. When this boat was just a few years old, the entire hull had to be rebuilt due to delamination. Tritons "Lifetime Guarantee" was a joke. They said they do not build an inferior product and the only way the hull could be delaminating was from "owner abuse" so $18k later and a couple hundred extra pounds of fiberglass and resin. The hull is rock solid. The extra weight probably cost a couple MPH but you can feel every wave under your feet. Learned a lesson there that when you can't feel the chop under your feet doesn't always mean your boat "rides that smooth" could mean your hull is flexing like a SOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Rlueb View Post
    Yeah delamination is what I'm worried about. When this boat was just a few years old, the entire hull had to be rebuilt due to delamination. Tritons "Lifetime Guarantee" was a joke. They said they do not build an inferior product and the only way the hull could be delaminating was from "owner abuse" so $18k later and a couple hundred extra pounds of fiberglass and resin. The hull is rock solid. The extra weight probably cost a couple MPH but you can feel every wave under your feet. Learned a lesson there that when you can't feel the chop under your feet doesn't always mean your boat "rides that smooth" could mean your hull is flexing like a SOB.
    You talking about the 2010 or your 02?

14. Member
    The 02

15. Member
    I'm definitely not brand bashing I love the boat It's rock solid now. And will get up and fly with the 250xb. I'll never get rid of her.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    As long as the bolts are NOT turned......Never.
    As Savage mention above ....I have a 1988 boat that has never been re-resealed with a 200 HP motor . Always check torque with a freind so the bolts don't break the seal .