Thread: My try at a jig

My try at a jig

Saw a video with the Megabass Drunk Fly and liked the idea but it's not available anywhere except Ebay from Japan and I wasn't about to spend $25 for a jighead so tried to make my own. Did the clay model thing then made the mold out of Mold Putty (total of $19 from Hobby Lobby). Poured with lead it's 0.62oz and with pewter it's 0.42oz. It's not perfect but I'm looking forward to how it fishes with a spider grub on it. If it works out a buddy of mine has a bucket of hi temp RTV that I'll make a more durable mold out of.

Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet. Always wanted to try that method. Just never had an idea I wanted to pursue enough.

3. Member
    Looks good brother!

I just made a chatterbait mold out of hi temp silicone. Came out really nice. Can't speak to the durability yet, only poured a couple so far. Time will tell on that.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by School Master View Post
    Looks good brother!

I just made a chatterbait mold out of hi temp silicone. Came out really nice. Can't speak to the durability yet, only poured a couple so far. Time will tell on that.
    My buddy has a jig company and has made quite a few test molds with the hi temp rtv, he said that you can get hundreds of pours out of one.

5. Member
    Looks good to me, bet it catches fish!!

It will catch fish.

7. Member
    How did you do the two halves of the mold? Looks like to me if you did it the traditional direction with the hook point centerline being the split, it wouldn't come out of the mold easily. Did you make the mold to split 90 degrees to the hook so the mold would release? With the U shape under the head, it would be difficult to make it release by how it looks.

Great idea and result though!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt E. View Post
    How did you do the two halves of the mold? Looks like to me if you did it the traditional direction with the hook point centerline being the split, it wouldn't come out of the mold easily. Did you make the mold to split 90 degrees to the hook so the mold would release? With the U shape under the head, it would be difficult to make it release by how it looks.

Great idea and result though!
    Was just a silicone mold so it came apart pretty easily. I think if it were an aluminum mold that would be an issue and would probably have to be a 3 piece or have some type of insert or something like that.