Hickory Knob State Park/Strom Thurmond Lake

I'm headed up there with grandkids for a few days and planned on pulling the boat up there we will be staying at Hickory Knob. Whats the fishing like up there this time of year as I've never fished there before. Any suggestions would be great to try to put those boys on a few fish. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    Just fish shallow and dependent upon them liking “bass fishing” would determine how I’d fish. You might be wise to pick up some minnows and fish the grass and around brush. Just be careful if you run up the lake towards Russell dam the center of the lake and towards SC side is full of trees that are probably just below the waters surface right now. From Hickory Knob heading down the lake you don’t have to worry about anything.

Lake Thurmond (Updated March 30)

Lake Thurmond water levels are up to 327.31 (full pool is 330.00) and water temperatures are back to 60 and above in much of the lake. The very lower lake is clear while some of the creeks are heavily stained.
    It's finally starting to really happen on Lake Thurmond, and Augusta University bass team angler Josh Rockefeller reports that, while it’s not everywhere, in certain places there is already some pretty heavy bedding activity. There are also a ton of buck bass up shallow in the grass, and it's hard to go wrong fishing a floating worm or jig in very shallow water. With the full moon he expects there to be a very strong wave of bedding fish over the next few days.
    Fresh off the water recently, Tyler Matthews with Buckeye Lures in Augusta reportsthat he found the fish in less than a foot of water in a muddy creek. They were eating a spinnerbait and a Chatterbait around the bank grass, and he also saw some fish that were already on the bed. However, it looks like water temperatures need to warm a few more degrees for the spawn to be wide open. By next weekend pretty much all the fish should be on the bed, heading that way – or done.
    In striped bassnews Captain William Sasser (864-333-2000) reports that they are finding an outstanding bite for striper and hybrids fishing 35-40 feet down over 35-50 feet of water off main lake points. The best area has been the lower lake in front of the dam, and there are a lot of fish being caught right in front of the dam tied up to the cable. Mornings have been very productive, and there has been a good mix of large and small fish.
    On the crappiefront, Captain Chris Simpson(864-992-2352) reports that crappie are at all depths. Some anglers are catching them on the banks, while other anglers are catching them over open water tight-lining and long-lining. Curly-tail jigs and slider jigs tipped with minnows are both working well, and in the more stained water darker colors have been better.
    William’s boats have even found some fish 30 feet deep over 35-40 feet of water, and they have also been catching some spawning fish up against the bank. The best shallow bite seems to be in

3. Member
    I was on Clarks Hill last Wednesday (April 4th) in all that wind. My 1st three bass on secondary points was a 4.8, 8.3, and 9.9. They were skinny and spawned out, but starting to feed shallow. I would start on secondary points then look at shallow main lake points to see if the herring bite has started. (spooks, flukes, swimbaits, all fished fast)

4. JCWbassmaster
    Senko, Floating Worm, Fluke, spook (on points), Buzzbait (in pockets)

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you go up the river cross the river before going up and stay on the GA side lots of standing timber and bad juju on the SC side. Running south of the park no issue everything is marked the Park is nice and has a great golf course.