Panoptics ps 22 or ps31

So I am getting ready to order and wondering for those that have used them which one. I will be targeting crappie mostly and wondering if the the 31 with the front looking 3D would be worth the extra money thanks.

The 3D view is a total waste of time and you will never use it.

3. Banned
    Just follow Todd Huckabee. You wont need anything.

4. Member
    As a fellow crappie/panfish chaser. I would opt for the PS22. Why ? Because you have the benefit of both the forward view and the down view. Use the forward view when hunting them and the down view when perched over them.

Also the cost . 999 as opposed to the 1499 for the ps31. I know the present rebate helps out but still difference. If you night fish. It's down view time and watch the crappies and bait stack up on ya.

read some of the posts on the PS 22 here. Lots of diehard fans.
    Helix Mega 10 SI G2N , ILink
    Garmin 1040 XS / Garmin 1242 xsv with Panoptix Down VU PS 30 W/ GCV 10 networked with PS 31. Boat Rig

Echomap Ultra 106 SV with Livescope 12 . Ice Rig

5. Member
    Ok, silly question but can the ps21 be pointed straight down and be used the same way?

6. Member
    I can not speak for the PS22 and it gets lots of great reviews by those using it. However I did have a PS31 and I loved it and will probably get another one soon. I could cruise slowly and look for fish around my by panning, ( I had it mounted on a stick at tiller position where I sit) and then could drive to those fish, sit over them, watch my bait drop to their level and catch them. Did it many many times with Stripers and Kokanee and deep Crappie. I did not have to change the direction on the transducer, it performed equally well forward and down. It was a game changer, I lost it in an accident and am fighting with my insurance company, but I will replace it. Might be a Chevy Ford thing but there is a considerable cost difference. For me, it was worth it.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Duaned View Post
    Ok, silly question but can the ps21 be pointed straight down and be used the same way?
    No.

As far as crappie fishing goes, using LiveVu Forward, you can see find and catch the same fish with 21,22, or 31. There are differences in the cones and related mechanics. The 21 has a 45 degree width cone. So close in you have to do more back and forth with the trolling motor to get the best fix on the direction. The 22 has a 20 degree cone so there's less back and forth but you have to rotate it slower. With the 31, it's more flexible. Using LiveVu Forward you choose 10, 20 or 40 or on FrontVu you have 5, 10, or 20. Whatever you choose requires a related adjustment in rotation speed. They all will show you fish at impressive distances. On all of them, at the longer distances, like 100 ft or more, the cones are tight, not wider. At 150 ft, looking at one fish, the rotation can be quite delicate.

If you're just going to buy one Panoptix - no brainer. PS22. But wait!!! Maybe the PS30. No-wait again!!! Thinking about just one is giving me a headache.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

8. Member
    Thx for the info

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hays47 View Post
    As a fellow crappie/panfish chaser. I would opt for the PS22. Why ? Because you have the benefit of both the forward view and the down view. Use the forward view when hunting them and the down view when perched over them.

Also the cost . 999 as opposed to the 1499 for the ps31. I know the present rebate helps out but still difference. If you night fish. It's down view time and watch the crappies and bait stack up on ya.

read some of the posts on the PS 22 here. Lots of diehard fans.
    Never Mind I found it What rebates ? where do I get info on Garmin Rebates ?
    Last edited by CraigMH; 04-13-2018 at 10:48 PM.

10. Member
    They all will show you fish at impressive distances. On all of them, at the longer distances, like 100 ft or more, the cones are tight, not wider.
    LWinchester
    Do you feel the tight cone at longer distances is a matter of the power fading and the strongest return is just from the very center of the beam angle and the power at the edges of the beam angle fade enough not to show targets?

11. Member
    Right. When I did the comparison I was in over 200 FOW and looking at targets I placed, if I remember right from around 40 or 50 down to 110. The longest distance I could see the targets was 160 ft. My opinion is that the returns were only coming from the center of the cone because the left right movement of the trolling motor was quite delicate. Didn't have to move it much to lose the target. Didn't matter which transducer. I considered that a plus, being able to precisely know the direction with the depth.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Member
    Thanks LW

picking up a boat with a ps31 ducer and thinking of switching to the ps22 as its much more compact...(I also had a ps22 on my previous boat) what are peoples thoughts on that? bad idea?
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

14. Member
    Each has advantages. PS22 has Forward and Down, PS31 only Forward. PS22 is fixed cone. PS31 is software adjustable cone, 10,20 or 40 degrees. That the biggest things. My experience is that they have the same range.