Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. huskyjerk
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Andy View Post
    Oxygenators for live Wells are not needed. Why? It is physically impossible to add more oxygen to water at a given temperature. Colder water holds more oxygen than warmer water. The excess oxygen escapes into atmosphere. The oxygenator would be useful if you were not adding fresh water from the surrounding water. You want to get more O2 in the water, esp in summer, cool the water in live well w/ ice so it can hold more oxygen.

What Affects Oxygen Solubility?

Dissolved oxygen concentrations decrease as temperature increases
    Two bodies of water that are both 100% air-saturated do not necessarily have the same concentration of dissolved oxygen. The actual amount of dissolved oxygen (in mg/L) will vary depending on temperature, pressure and salinity ¹.
    First, the solubility of oxygen decreases as temperature increases ¹. This means that warmer surface water requires less dissolved oxygen to reach 100% air saturation than does deeper, cooler water. For example, at sea level (1 atm or 760 mmHg) and 4°C (39°F), 100% air-saturated water would hold 10.92 mg/L of dissolved oxygen. ³ But if the temperature were raised to room temperature, 21°C (70°F), there would only be 8.68 mg/L DO at 100% air saturation ³.
    Source:Fundamentals of Environmental Measurements
    Ice is your friend.

2. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Just get a set of vt2 and forget about it.
    DITTO!

3. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    It's funny because bass cat took out the latch system in thier livewell lids and added the front lock for the reason that the latch allows heat into the wells. So that would mean these vents are BS or bass cat is full of crap??? Which is it.... I'm going with the guys who make a great bass boat...
    Open your livewell in the heat of summer, then open mine....You will be AMAZED at the difference...VT-2 will always be on any rig I own.... Never lose a fish.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Any fishing organizations or professional fisherman plugging any product falls into the NASCAR format of sponsorship funding. The sponsor gets there name on the hood/side of the boat with cash not performance. Some of the general public are gullible enough to buy into this. Many others don't.

At this point I have not seen any independent testing that would make me want to alter my current Ranger OEM system. Adequate aeration and a few chemical additives that enhance livewell performance. Having fished in SC since 1979 I never found a need for the addition of ice to the well necessary.
    How about real life tests??? Never lost a fish!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Delta Andy View Post
    Oxygenators for live Wells are not needed. Why? It is physically impossible to add more oxygen to water at a given temperature. Colder water holds more oxygen than warmer water. The excess oxygen escapes into atmosphere. The oxygenator would be useful if you were not adding fresh water from the surrounding water. You want to get more O2 in the water, esp in summer, cool the water in live well w/ ice so it can hold more oxygen.

What Affects Oxygen Solubility?

Dissolved oxygen concentrations decrease as temperature increases
    Two bodies of water that are both 100% air-saturated do not necessarily have the same concentration of dissolved oxygen. The actual amount of dissolved oxygen (in mg/L) will vary depending on temperature, pressure and salinity ¹.
    First, the solubility of oxygen decreases as temperature increases ¹. This means that warmer surface water requires less dissolved oxygen to reach 100% air saturation than does deeper, cooler water. For example, at sea level (1 atm or 760 mmHg) and 4°C (39°F), 100% air-saturated water would hold 10.92 mg/L of dissolved oxygen. ³ But if the temperature were raised to room temperature, 21°C (70°F), there would only be 8.68 mg/L DO at 100% air saturation ³.
    Source:Fundamentals of Environmental Measurements

You are assuming that the water in the lake and your live well is 100% air saturated.

It's not.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123