Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    So, I can sum it up saying the "Oxygenator" aren't worth it, vents are a good idea and "fresh water , there is no substitute"?
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 241 View Post
    So, I can sum it up saying the "Oxygenator" aren't worth it, vents are a good idea and "fresh water , there is no substitute"?
    Pretty much. You can add in oxygen injection towards the top.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lunker_Hunter View Post
    If a fish is bleeding it gets a half can or bottle of sprite or mountain dew down its throat to control bleeding before being put in livewell
    I have to ask, how does Sprite or Mt. Dew control bleeding?

4. Member
    I have experience with the oxygenator. I have one of the old ones, non self cleaning in my Allison. The Allison has the same style venturi system that I had in my old Ranger. It produces a ton of bubbles and should mix the air with the water as good as anything and better than other systems.
    I have had just under 20 pounds of bass in my livewell for several hours in the heat of the summer in Texas while fishing tournaments. Combined with the livewell system they came out frisky. Without the oxygenator they did ok but there was a marked difference.

Now though I have one of the bottled oxygen systems with an air stone. It is as good or better than the old system without the aerator turned on. With the aerator I can use a small amount of pure oxygen and keep fish frisky all day. The bottled oxygen takes more to keep working but a bottle usually lasts several days of fishing. Works best for me in 100 plus degree days.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

5. Banned
    My question is I see most all of you on here trying this, trying that, etc. What I hardly ever see is almost none of you run your aerator in manual. Why??? Of all the things you could do that most boats already have, just flip the damn switch the other direction. Lol. For the life of me I just don’t get why you wouldn’t run em on manual when it gets hot or you have some fish in there.

How about someone coming up with a cooled livewell system, seems to me the best increase in O2 came from cooler water, not freezing but drop it maybe 10 degrees in the summer without adding chlorined ice to the well? Maybe a some sort of cooling coil, thermal pump of some sort? I'm sure it would sell.
    Last edited by 241; 04-16-2018 at 10:35 AM.
    2016 Z520, 2018 250 Pro LPXS sn/ 2B590153, Helix 10s on bow and console, 360 bow and 112 Ultrex, 126sv and Livescope.
    Son inherited - 1997 462VS 150 Johnson Faststrike, 800 series birds, side image, 110 Fortrex

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MSranger View Post
    I have to ask, how does Sprite or Mt. Dew control bleeding?
    The theory is that the citric acid works to constrict the blood vessels and lessen the bleeding. In reality blood coagulates significantly faster in water than air to it's the liquid that helps and putting the fish back in the water fast would work just as well, probably.
    2015 Yellowfin 21 with 2014 Yamaha SHO 250

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by catch5 View Post
    My question is I see most all of you on here trying this, trying that, etc. What I hardly ever see is almost none of you run your aerator in manual. Why??? Of all the things you could do that most boats already have, just flip the damn switch the other direction. Lol. For the life of me I just don’t get why you wouldn’t run em on manual when it gets hot or you have some fish in there.
    O2 out of a tank into a stone designed for Oxygen works significantly better than an aerator alone. Last year we pulled up at the dock for a redfish tournament with super frisky fish. The guys in the boat next to us had fish that were not looking good even though they were running a long bar type aerator constantly. Constantly trying to roll over and being lethargic. I gave them my O2 setup to use for a few minutes and ten minutes later the fish were happy as if they had just been scooped out of the marsh. O2 works no matter what people think. I have converted multiple people after lending them my setup for a day.

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Swear by my VT2 vents would never own another boat without them.

10. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshfly View Post
    O2 out of a tank into a stone designed for Oxygen works significantly better than an aerator alone. Last year we pulled up at the dock for a redfish tournament with super frisky fish. The guys in the boat next to us had fish that were not looking good even though they were running a long bar type aerator constantly. Constantly trying to roll over and being lethargic. I gave them my O2 setup to use for a few minutes and ten minutes later the fish were happy as if they had just been scooped out of the marsh. O2 works no matter what people think. I have converted multiple people after lending them my setup for a day.
    Oh I’m sure this does works better and I’d like to add one to my boat. My point was most people don’t have this, but all of us currently have a aerator that we can turn in Manual. I just don’t get why guys don’t do it.

11. Banned
    Check out Tufts Lab a project run by Queens University with real scientists.....Oxygenators don’t work!

12. Member
    They make one. Its called a Coolwell
    Quote Originally Posted by 241 View Post
    How about someone coming up with a cooled livewell system, seems to me the best increase in O2 came from cooler water, not freezing but drop it maybe 10 degrees in the summer without adding chlorined ice to the well? Maybe a some sort of cooling coil, thermal pump of some sort? I'm sure it would sell.

13. Banned
    posted a link to something that works

14. Member
    Oh I’m sure this does works better and I’d like to add one to my boat. My point was most people don’t have this, but all of us currently have a aerator that we can turn in Manual. I just don’t get why guys don’t do it.
    I totally agree. Even with the O2 running, the movement of the water that the aerator provides will help with off gassing of the CO2 that builds up in the water. The aerator works both ways: more ambient air in the water and more CO2 out of the water.

15. Member
    ^^^^^ I run both recirculating pumps with fill pumps on timed and never have problems. But my recirculating system has the elbows with vent tubes that draws air into the water. I think most struggle with understanding your livewell system and think you catch a fish, dump it in the livewell and forget about it. I had a buddy that had a nitro and I believe my fish aquarium at home had a better system. Not all systems are equal.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve j View Post
    ^^^^^ I run both recirculating pumps with fill pumps on timed and never have problems. But my recirculating system has the elbows with vent tubes that draws air into the water. I think most struggle with understanding your livewell system and think you catch a fish, dump it in the livewell and forget about it. I had a buddy that had a nitro and I believe my fish aquarium at home had a better system. Not all systems are equal.
    I had a nitro and it was a lot of work to keep them alive in that thing. We did it but it sucked really. I'm sure the newer ones are better but it's pretty much the same system from looking at it. The new boat is a breeze to keep fish in. Aerator on a timer and recirc on a timer or manual and the fish are always in great shape. I add the oxygen when it's really hot and they come from deep water or when we trailer to weigh in.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Swear by my VT2 vents would never own another boat without them.
    Had these 3 years now. Best thing out there for the heat of summer.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

18. Member
    Oxygenators for live Wells are not needed. Why? It is physically impossible to add more oxygen to water at a given temperature. Colder water holds more oxygen than warmer water. The excess oxygen escapes into atmosphere. The oxygenator would be useful if you were not adding fresh water from the surrounding water. You want to get more O2 in the water, esp in summer, cool the water in live well w/ ice so it can hold more oxygen.

What Affects Oxygen Solubility?

Dissolved oxygen concentrations decrease as temperature increases
    Two bodies of water that are both 100% air-saturated do not necessarily have the same concentration of dissolved oxygen. The actual amount of dissolved oxygen (in mg/L) will vary depending on temperature, pressure and salinity ¹.
    First, the solubility of oxygen decreases as temperature increases ¹. This means that warmer surface water requires less dissolved oxygen to reach 100% air saturation than does deeper, cooler water. For example, at sea level (1 atm or 760 mmHg) and 4°C (39°F), 100% air-saturated water would hold 10.92 mg/L of dissolved oxygen. ³ But if the temperature were raised to room temperature, 21°C (70°F), there would only be 8.68 mg/L DO at 100% air saturation ³.
    Source:Fundamentals of Environmental Measurements

19. Member
    I believe oxygen is key and does work. Last year, first tournament of the year I had 5 fish in the well and totally forgot to start my recirculater. I looked in and 4 fish were in bad bad shape and 1 dead. Or so I thought. I filled the well with fresh water, turned on both recirculators, added a few splashes of g juice and within 5 minutes all 5 fish were trying to jump outta the lid.

20. Member
    Hydrogen peroxide is cheap and works well for adding oxygen.

Ice is important in the summer. Cooler water holds more disolved oxygen.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast