Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Evinrude Etec G2, now that this motor has been out for several years, are owner happy

I am preparing to purchase a bass boat in the 3rd quarter of this year. The boat is secondary to me because I've owned multiple brand boats and pretty much like all of them. What has my interest is the Etec G2 innovation with 500 hours maintenance free ownership, easy to almost instant self winterizing, 5 year warranty with current 10 year warranty promotion, auto trim and power steering on the motor. However, I'm old school so hydraulic steering is acceptable to me for bass fishing. All that said I'm looking at either a 150HO Etec G2 or same block 200 Etec G2.

My real question:
    Since the release of these motors how have they performed and how reliable have they been for owners who have had them longer than one year. The number 1 factor to me. Reliability. The rest I get it. It's toque and gas mileage is industry leading at this time. I'd posted some comments in Evinrude motor section but I think more traffic is here for Etec owner to comment. So Etec owners do share your experience. I much appreciate your feedback.

Boats I'm considering: no order of preference.

1. Vexus 19' tin boat.
    2. BassCat Pantera Classic
    3. Triton 189TRX or 18TRX
    4. Ranger 518 Series boat.
    Last edited by deepanchor; 04-11-2018 at 07:59 AM.

2. Member

3. Banned
    Not an owner of one but I have seen numerous posts concerning the durability of the lower units and a few on the hydraulic steering assembly having issues. Do you have a good Evinrude mechanic close by would be a primary deciding factor to. Have you read the fine print on what that 10 warranty actually covers? Sounds good at face value but what are the meat and potatoes of what it actually covers and does not cover over the entire lifespan of the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-Dinks View Post
    Not an owner of one but I have seen numerous posts concerning the durability of the lower units and a few on the hydraulic steering assembly having issues. Do you have a good Evinrude mechanic close by would be a primary deciding factor to. Have you read the fine print on what that 10 warranty actually covers? Sounds good at face value but what are the meat and potatoes of what it actually covers and does not cover over the entire lifespan of the warranty.
    So you are not an owner? That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for owners not second hand info. I want to read from actual owners.

5. Member
    I am on my third year with a G2 250ho on a 21 TRX. I have about 125 hours on it so far with zero issues. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Really? Numerous posts on the G2 case? Post them all up or is this just the normal "dock talk"?

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Really? Numerous posts on the G2 case? Post them all up or is this just the normal "dock talk"?
    You go look as I have better things to do.

8. Member
    I bought my G2 225
    ho in April 2015 I had a steering update update an no other problems.. I have just hit the 300hr mark best motor I have ever run ................
    Last edited by stratos007; 04-15-2018 at 05:30 PM.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You go look as I have better things to do.
    Just as I thought.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by deepanchor View Post
    So you are not an owner? That's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for owners not second hand info. I want to read from actual owners.
    Owners are going to reassure the information you want to hear. You have already made up your mind. Very few current owners are going to tell you the motor is junk. If it was junk they wouldn't own it. The differences in performance between the big 3 are too minute to make that the ultimate decision. There will always be X brand that has issues and the same X brand that never has a hiccup. If that is the motor you like and have a good mechanic near by then buy it.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Just as I thought.
    No one is stirring anything. Go look and you will find them. As far as you go...nothing good comes to mind so I will refrain from saying it!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    Owners are going to reassure the information you want to hear. You have already made up your mind. Very few current owners are going to tell you the motor is junk. If it was junk they wouldn't own it. The differences in performance between the big 3 are too minute to make that the ultimate decision. There will always be X brand that has issues and the same X brand that never has a hiccup. If that is the motor you like and have a good mechanic near by then buy it.
    ^^^^^^^^ Exactly what I think. If reliability is the number one factor as you say, you would be looking at Suzuki or Honda anyway.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

13. Member
    Not a G2 owner, but have to throw this in about the warranty:

I have a 2015 G1 and just had my lower go out fishing a tournament. Water was all in the gearcase with no line around my propshaft at all (take that for what its worth). The propshaft gasket seemed fine, so they sent me a free new lower. Did not honestly expect them to do that, but they did. I did not do anything to violate the warranty, so I guess it makes sense, but good luck getting other manufacturers to warranty a lower.

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wfb0002 View Post
    Not a G2 owner, but have to throw this in about the warranty:

I have a 2015 G1 and just had my lower go out fishing a tournament. Water was all in the gearcase with no line around my propshaft at all (take that for what its worth). The propshaft gasket seemed fine, so they sent me a free new lower. Did not honestly expect them to do that, but they did. I did not do anything to violate the warranty, so I guess it makes sense, but good luck getting other manufacturers to warranty a lower.
    I will have to say Evinrude does stand behind their warranty. They have been top notch if I needed anything. Sure wish they were having the 10 year program when I bought mine.

No one is stirring anything. Go look and you will find them. As far as you go...nothing good comes to mind so I will refrain from saying it!
    5 Dinks, Fred has helped out more folks on this site than you will ever know. I spent some rally time with him at the Big O and he is . You added nothing to this thread. As usual.

why do people make stuff up about motors on here? numerous case issues? wtf.
    Ranger Forever

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^ Exactly what I think. If reliability is the number one factor as you say, you would be looking at Suzuki or Honda anyway.
    ^^^dat!^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Randy T View Post
    I've owned my share of boats and motors with the "Big" three on the back of the boat. I'm looking for ownership experience specific to the G2. At first glance I'm extremely impressed after owning a two Etec G1 150HO's in teh past. I want to see how the G2 is holding up before I make a financial commitment. I like he G2 specs but I want to be sure first before spending my hard earned coin.

My post is the best way I know how to execute my next step financial decisions. Pretty simple straight forward question if you ask me. I'll take the comments from an owner way above a dealer / mechanic anytime.

19. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You seem to be stirring the pot with your uneducated post as usual. I can't think of any thought provoking thread you have made since being here. You just seem to follow the sheep and jump on whatever the wolf pack decides to pounce on. I am a working Certified Johnson/Evinrude Technician and have been one for over 40 years and have been with the Tournament support technician at the FLW and Costa series so I have first hand exposure to the product. I believe the OP asked for owners experiences your input was simply conjecture.

I dont own one, but in my circle of friends there are two G2's and and as far as i know the only shop time either have was for a simple factory update of some type,,, Sure wish i could say that about this damn ProXS i have
    Last edited by River-Bandit; 04-12-2018 at 01:32 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast