Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Z View Post
    From reliability standpoint the 4 stroke is by far a better option. Its obvious which way the market is heading and evinrude needs to get on board or they will loose in the end.
    Absolutely

2. Banned
    Well my tournament partner has the SHO, I have also tournamented on a vrod. I had a Pro XS......I purchased a G2....I feel pretty qualified to say its seems amazing...no comparison to the others....top 7 guys at FLW had one...are they the most reliable...not sure...fastest...yes, best on fuel...yes, best for environment...yes...most advanced....yes...

Oh and I have blown up a yammy, 2 Evinrudes (gen1) 1 Opti...

Did I mention a failed bracket on my other partners SHO almost killed him...Yamaha took no responsibility but changed bracket next year

Also, everyone I know with a early SHO has had power head replaced...

So .....pleased to hear from all you other guys who have fished all four....

BTW...Verados are IMHO preferred choice...as they are great but gas pigs and even more dough than G2

3. Member
    Owned one and will never own another one!

Quote Originally Posted by jimbotaylor View Post
    Owned one and will never own another one!
    Why ?

5. Member
    Evinrude took a huge risk by investing big bucks in 2 stroke technology. From all my reading and filtering out the haters I believe they have a great product.

They still are bucking the trend in outboards from 2 to 4 stroke. Soon they may be the only option for 2 strokes. Will people keep buying them? Time will tell.

Mercury just came out with several new four strokes from 150 to 225 and are not producing the Optimax in those hp ranges. Then just this morning I read where they are testing some larger V8 engines (4.5 and 4.8L) and think this will lead them to get rid of their larger hp motors soon. The new motors, rumored to be from 300 to 450 horsepower may also spell the end of the Verado. Some of the smaller ones are already shelved and I imagine with the new V8's they will replace the rest of them. The Verado was/is a 2 star CARB motor.
    __________________________________________________ __________________
    1999 Allison w/01 200 Pro Max
    2000 Dodge w/Cummins

6. Member
    My next motor will be the G2.

7. Member
    I would go into why and tried to have a discussion on Evinrude forum and it always turns into a bashing!

8. Member
    I own ‘16 225 G2. I don’t have power steering option. This motor has so much torque it is very hard to turn the steering wheel left running trimmed up. So, power steering is definite option to consider . The only problem I have had was all the oil in lower unit leaked out onto driveway the first month. There was an issue with some seals and new seals were put in lower unit. Had a start in gear fault that kept coming up, had to hook it up to the computer at dealer and calibrate it. This took 5 minutes. No issues since.

In my area, there are not a lot of service options. The Evinrude tech I use has only worked on my motor and no other g2’s. And he is a sharp guy.

I like the oil tank in the motor, with no oil tank I have extra space for 5th battery. Hole shot is better than the mercury and the g1 that were previously on this same boat. Top speed is same. I run the 4 blade prop. You will need the little transom bracket like TH marine sells. Good gas mileage, super quiet.
    I would buy again if the service options improve in my locale.

9. Member
    Agree with Jim G2 is a complete turd.............................................. .................................................s ilence

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I would go into why and tried to have a discussion on Evinrude forum and it always turns into a bashing!
    Only because you were not forthcoming with info asked by the Best of the best Evinrude techs.....

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    My next motor will be the G2.

same here!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

12. Member
    I like my Pro XS...My feelings are hurt
    2014 Z119c
    225 Pro X\S
    Lowrance
    Powerpoles

13. Banned
    Suzuki rules!

14. Member
    ???

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    Suzuki rules!
    My Suzy doesn't exactly rule. I have a smaller one, a DF 4 stroke 175, it has always gotten me back, I'd like about 25-75 more HP.
    I like the getting me back part.

16. Banned
    True

17. Member
    i'm finally going to get to run mine this weekend. I'll let you know what i think.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Quote Originally Posted by joebone1 View Post
    i'm finally going to get to run mine this weekend. I'll let you know what i think.
    Much appreciated.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234