Did I Miss a Great Chance?

We were putting out brush piles for crappie Sunday afternoon and I was the spot search boat with a boat full of trees right behind me. I was looking for a ledge and came across this. I’m new to this deep water fishing, but from what I’ve seen around here I might should’ve dropped a line. What y’all think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Bunch of shad

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Bunch of shad
    Makes me feel better. So bass would’ve been even bigger?

Also from what I think I’ve learned - in Di/SI, if you are moving at good speed then fish will show up as dots. But if moving very slow or just sitting on top, then fish will appear as wavy lines. Is this correct?

4. Banned
    These were white bass a little over 1lb for comparison sake.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Makes me feel better. So bass would’ve been even bigger?

Also from what I think I’ve learned - in Di/SI, if you are moving at good speed then fish will show up as dots. But if moving very slow or just sitting on top, then fish will appear as wavy lines. Is this correct?
    Bass have mostly always shown up as cotton balls with little tails on both sides on mine. You would have to be completely still and a bass would have to stay in the very small sonar beam to be a wavy
    line. This is gar0_20171124_111744.jpg
    This is bass20180412_071342.jpg

6. Member
    So help a rookie see the difference in the 2 pics. 1 is school of shad snd 1 was school of 4-6lbrs. A friend found these this past weekend and caught about 6-7 all over 4.

7. Member
    The blue pic is shad. See how small the targets are and in the other pic how big the targets are. The bass are longer because his speed is 0 and it looks like they are feeding so the coukd have been moving. If you look in the middle of the blue pic towards the top you will see some bigger targets that look like those same lines. Likely some kind of game fish. Maybe not bass, I think bass would be below the shad. I know what I'm saying kind of goes against the cotton ball deal I said earlier but you have to learn your unit. The transducer could be mounted different or settings different. I know when Phil Marks won a flw tourney down here he called the fish little worms on the graph. That's exactly what they looked like to when they showed them. So with all that said, if I see fish that I think are bass I will try to catch them. They may not always be bass bit I would rather try them

8. Member
    Thanks

9. Member
    Not counting really big fish like a 3' gar, or really small fish like shad, fish look like fish on sonar. Where they're located and how they school determines the species.
    OP, that looks like a school of white bass to me