Banned

what year did Mercury start smartcraft capable

2000 200 optimax serial number ot273182

what year did they start smartcraft capable and what do i check for to see if mine is. For some reason i'm thinking 2002. If not how can i get temperature information? Thanks for info

2. Member
    2002 or 2003....My Mercury does (2003) and my Buddy's (2001) does not.....

Quote Originally Posted by lfg View Post
    2000 200 optimax serial number ot273182

what year did they start smartcraft capable and what do i check for to see if mine is. For some reason i'm thinking 2002. If not how can i get temperature information? Thanks for info
    There is no way via Smartcraft, It CAN be done but it takes tapping the block and adding a sensor and gauge. It may work but only a few folks have done it since it takes some skills to it.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    There is no way via Smartcraft, It CAN be done but it takes tapping the block and adding a sensor and gauge. It may work but only a few folks have done it since it takes some skills to it.
    Upon looking in the original package that comes with a new boat i found two different manuals of smartcraft referance. One showing the operation of the gauges and the other an install manual. also in the package was a connection harness with the numbers mercury harness assembly 54-859244a1 w/smartcraft written on it. Under the cowling i found where that harness could plug into. I took pictures of all this but I'll be damned if i can get them loaded up on this board. The question is why all this smartcraft stuff if not capable to install a gauge. Even the original operators/maintenance manual gives ref. to smartcraft. If someone can help i for now could send you pictures via a smartphone. If you will pm me with your number i will send them if needed. I will keep trying to load them up.

5. Banned
    still can't load any pictures up (tried tinypic) But they are on the computer now, so can send them by email.

6. Member
    Your motor is NOT Smartcraft capable.

This is your only option.......Click on this >>> water temp gauge install
    Last edited by Savage; 04-11-2018 at 08:16 PM.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Your motor is NOT Smartcraft capable.

This is your only option.......Click on this >>> water temp gauge install
    +1

BTW... this was actually a trick question. Mercury doesn't use "YEARS"... they use Serial Numbers.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    +1

BTW... this was actually a trick question. Mercury doesn't use "YEARS"... they use Serial Numbers.
    Not a trick question, i understand mercury uses sn's and not years, but there still has to be a date that smartcraft was introduced to the motors. If i had an answer to that then i could possibly understand why i have all the literature and the wiring harness in my 2000 boat packet. I understand according to the serial number 0t273182 i may not be capable. but why not?

9. Member
    Because your motor is NOT equipped with the proper hardware.

10. Member
    i read somewhere. the bare brown or tan wire under dash is your lead for an analog temp guage dunno if thats just a merc thing or a nitro thing . I intend on ditching mythrough hull depth guage on my boat and replacing it with temp guage .
    Nitro2023 triton allure 250 proxs
    Garmin marine
    prostaff

I had a 2001 that was smartcraft but don't know if that's the answer you want.

12. Banned
    Not a trick question, i understand mercury uses sn's and not years, but there still has to be a date that smartcraft was introduced to the motors. If i had an answer to that then i could possibly understand why i have all the literature and the wiring harness in my 2000 boat packet. I understand according to the serial number 0t273182 i may not be capable. but why not?
    It's because most boat and motor (and auto, for that matter) owner's manuals are "one size fits all". They don't rewrite the manual for every change that comes out, they write the manual to cover every option and eventuality; an individual motor may not have everything available for a model year.

I added the Temp gauges to my XB. I don't think it is hard but I have machine trades and master tech back ground. Only thing I had to deal with was the mercury gauges didn't read the same. I ordered another gauge and after tank testing installed the two closest reading gauges.

Really like knowing when the water is cold when we can go!

Attached Images Attached Images

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tracer1 View Post
    I had a 2001 that was smartcraft but don't know if that's the answer you want.
    it is. my boat is also a 2001 the motor is a 2000 if you could send a picture of the wiring harass under the cowling where it plugs in it might solve this puzzle even though im told it is not capable i just dont know why the original boat package had all the stuff to install it why would mercury do that seems a waste to me i can see where ranger would not install the gauges but.. so if you would be wiling to send a picture i could pm you my email or phone number so you could txt a picture thanks

15. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova Kaw 650 View Post
    It's because most boat and motor (and auto, for that matter) owner's manuals are "one size fits all". They don't rewrite the manual for every change that comes out, they write the manual to cover every option and eventuality; an individual motor may not have everything available for a model year.
    I fully understand that thanks for the reply. Currently trying to get a picture of where the smartcraft would plug in under the cowling to compare it to what i have. There is an extra connection on mine so we well see. It may just be where the diagnostic plugs in.

lfg, the motor has to be smartcraft. My boat & motor was 2001. Your boat can have the smartcraft wiring & gauges but they will not connect to a 2000 motor. I no longer have that boat but it was wired from the factory with the all the gauges. Very nice setup. I don't know if your factory smart gauge ( if that's what you have) will work with that motor. I'm not a tech but I would think the only recourses are: 1. Changes the gauges to work with the 2000 harness. 2. Change to a new motor to work with the smartcraft. 3. Add the temp gauges as Rick said. Know that sucks but all I can think of. These tech guys have pretty much explained it and may have some better options.

17. Member
    I have a 2000 Opti SN:0T166260 on my boat and from what i have read it is pre smartcraft but their is a smartcraft diamond shaped decal on the back of the motor or was that just a generic decal they all got? Also does any one have the pics from that link for the temp gauges?
    Last edited by Unckle; 04-16-2018 at 04:32 PM.
    2000 Ranger R91I
    2017 Mercury 200 Pro XS SN:2B360040

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    This engine is simply NOT compatible. The PCM does not have the necessary programming and capabilities to support Smartcraft.

Several other above comments are questionable. DO NOT attempt to use the TAN wire in the harness for engine temp, as it is NOT ATTACHED TO THE ENGINE'S TEMP CIRCUITS.

You would be reading the AIR COMPRESSOR.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

19. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This engine is simply NOT compatible. The PCM does not have the necessary programming and capabilities to support Smartcraft.

Several other above comments are questionable. DO NOT attempt to use the TAN wire in the harness for engine temp, as it is NOT ATTACHED TO THE ENGINE'S TEMP CIRCUITS.

You would be reading the AIR COMPRESSOR.
    Don i have no intention of doing anything except believe what you say about the motor. This thread was started to try and understand why all the smartcraft literature and wiring cables were in the new boat package, if smartcraft was not available for that motor at the time. sn shows not capable, end of story. Why don't we put this to rest. By the way thanks for the small piece of badly needed tubing on my last parts order Thanks lfg