Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Running Boat and Letting it sit Below Freezing?

Hi all, this is my first full season with my boat (stratos 285 pro xl) and I'm itching to get it out of storage. It is currently winterized at a marina but I'm scheduled to get the shrink wrap off by Friday. There are highs in the low 50s and lows in the low 40s for the weekend but lows are right around 32 for a few days next week.

My question is, if I run my motor this weekend and then let it sit next week in the potentially freezing temps, will I run this risk of damaging anything?

Not really. When you're loaded up, lower your motor all the way down to drain any excess water before driving home (don't forget to raise it back up LOL). Otherwise, you're fine.

Tom

3. Member
    What atom said.

I had my boat out in December as as long as you let the water drain for a few minutes with the motor trimmed as far down as possible, you’ll be fine.

4. Member
    Awesome, thank you guys for the response. The Cayuga pre spawn fatties have been calling my name!

5. Member
    If temperatures drop too much below freezing, remove hose from the back of your water pressire gauge.

You may not have a water pressure gauge, look at the weather after you have used boat.

6. Member
    Live well hoses and valves can crack. Drain everything and then make sure the valves are 1/2 open. Many valves hold water inside when fully open or fully closed.

Just go hook up to your boat and head south till you find 75 degree water , then stop,, fish and repeat

8. Member
    River bandit I wish it was that simple. I don’t plan on using live wells so that shouldn’t be an issue.

9. Member
    If your Stratos is anything like mine, you don't have to open the livewells, the valve will leak enough water in no matter what. The bottom of the wells is slanted, so if the little bit freezes, it forces it up not to the side so it's usually OK.

10. Member
    When you get back home remember to lower the motor back down.

11. Member
    Just fire it up for about 10 seconds when you pull it out of the water to blow the residual water out of the motor like the people do around here when its cold. It won't harm your water pump at all

12. Member
    I do this every spring and late fall before winter and never had any issues...

however the other day, my trailer was frozen to the bottom of my boat. I was out fishing that day and it was snowing heavy when I got off, and at night temps dipped to below 20*...a few days later I went to go fishing, and I launched and noticed my trailer was floating with my boat. It was frozen solid. I had to put my talons down and wait with my boat floating with the trailer for a good 20 minutes until the water thawed it enough and my trailer fell off. First for that.

13. Member
    98 Elite, that is pretty insane, I would have been nervous. I did read about guys running the motor for a few seconds to ensure all the water is out. It looks like the lows are all 33 right now for next week but we all know how accurate the weather man can be.

14. CMO Reel Life Baits scottyisback44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esfbassman View Post
    Awesome, thank you guys for the response. The Cayuga pre spawn fatties have been calling my name!
    Good luck getting out. Cayuga is extremely low right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wackyjig View Post
    Just fire it up for about 10 seconds when you pull it out of the water to blow the residual water out of the motor like the people do around here when its cold. It won't harm your water pump at all
    I’ve had some mechanics say to never do this. I trust most of what they have to say.

16. Member
    Scotty, you mean un-launch-able low? I was planning on fishing north end.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottyisback44 View Post
    Good luck getting out. Cayuga is extremely low right now.
    It was like that last year early in the year too. From the graph it looks like it try to keep the levels low and then bring them it up April through May. According to the graph, the level right now is below the "minimum target level".

https://www.canals.ny.gov/waterlevels/netdata/cayuga-levels.pdf
    Brandon
    1996 Ranger 362XT
    Johnson Faststrike 150

18. CMO Reel Life Baits scottyisback44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by esfbassman View Post
    Scotty, you mean un-launch-able low? I was planning on fishing north end.
    Some guys I work with that live on the lake said they've never seen it this low. Id try to check it out before attempting it if I was you. I haven't been over there yet.

I was at launch in Union Springs few days ago. Water looked low. The permanent docks had to be 3 ft out of the water if not more.

20. Member
    Wow that sucks. Might have to fish Onondoga instead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast