A little smallmouth help needed

Hey guys, I don't normally ask for fishing advice but I'm kind of clueless for this weekend. I'm headed to a small and largemouth lake in the northeast. Recent temps have been really cold but we are going to be in the 60's and 70's over the next few days, I would expect water temps around 40-45. If you were fishing for smallies where would you start and what baits would you throw? I'am just going for fun and to break in the new boat, I don't tournament fish. Thank you guys for the suggestions, tight lines!

2. Member
    Find where there are any streams running in to the lake. Lures can be the obvious suspended jerk bait, traps, tubes, flukes, small swim baits

3. Member
    Without knowing anything about the lake I'd say look for 45 degree banks with rock. Blade baits, finesse jig, Ned rig, jerkbaits. Drop shot and tube/grub could be productive.

Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    Without knowing anything about the lake I'd say look for 45 degree banks with rock. Blade baits, finesse jig, Ned rig, jerkbaits. Drop shot and tube/grub could be productive.
    This but I would want the 45* banks to be closer to flatter spawning areas, gravel-rock preferably. Would also yo-yo a chatterbait or lipless off the bottom in 5-10' of water
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Jerkbait, tube, Ned Rig, and a vibrating jig if the fish seem at all aggressive.
    Last edited by Jeff Hahn; 04-11-2018 at 10:10 PM.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Agree with starting on steep breaks next to flats. Smallmouth like steep breaks, especially this time of year as they can easily move up and down to feed or rest. Heck, even when they're up on flats feeding in the spring or summer a lot of times it's on a flat next to a steep break. The biggest rocks you can find will usually be the best spots, especially if the lake is rocky in general.

Bait suggestions above are really good ones.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

7. Member
    Jerkbait, ned rig, neko rig, hair jig.
    2016 Ranger RT188, Yamaha 115 sho, dual console, 80# Ultrex, hotfoot, networked HB Solix 10 & Helix 9, Mega 360. Powertech NRS3 18p, Atlas 4" jack plate.

8. Member
    Hopkins Spoons and Silver Buddy's for deeper water. Tubes and now Ned Rigs always. Chug Bugs for a top water try. Definately weightless Flukes, I primarily use baby bass or hot pink in early spring.
    '14 Triton 18XS 150 Optimax Pro XS Fortrex 80
    Kropf Park model on Chautauqua Lake
    Fish Chautauqua Lake and Lake Erie
    Love bass and fly fishing for Trout and Steelhead

9. Member
    Not sure where your headed but I've done well on Wallenpaupack this time of year on JB's ,tubes.TX there this weekend.

10. Member
    Hey guys thanks for the advice, I was thinking about the same except the tubes and chatterbait. The chatterbait is a little surprising,I would think spinner bait or A-rig. I will take this advice into the weekend and hopefully catch a few while breaking in the new rig. The lake I'm headed to is candlewood, I have had success with catching large mouth but not such good luck on the smallies. Thanks again!

11. Member
    I'd stay away from bottom contact baits personally. Jerkbait, hair jig, chatterbait, and small swimbait on jighead, and SLOW.

12. Member
    Not sure why you are all talking about 45 degree banks, guess its all relative to the lake. If I fished that way in most of my lakes in Maine in the spring you would get your @ss handed to you! Find the inlets and fish the flats and secondary points to the mouths.

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    Not sure why you are all talking about 45 degree banks, guess its all relative to the lake. If I fished that way in most of my lakes in Maine in the spring you would get your @ss handed to you! Find the inlets and fish the flats and secondary points to the mouths.
    youd fish flats (assuming you mean shallower flats) with such low water temps? that doesnt seem like itll be productive at lower temps

OP probably had ice, when ice out happens here stealer banks where the water is open is better, and as I said chatterbait yoyoed off the bottom I wouldn't throw arig or spinnerbaits yet. I think chatterbait when pumped off the bottom feels and acts like a crayfish fleeing... and it needs a rest to let lazy cold fish catch it
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

15. Member
    Fished last weekend water was about 40. Lmb and smb lake. Had no luck finding Lmb but I did find smb in about 30 ft off points. Used lunker hunt vertical jigs and played video game fishing with them. Caught a few nothing spectacular.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Della123 View Post
    Hey guys thanks for the advice, I was thinking about the same except the tubes and chatterbait. The chatterbait is a little surprising,I would think spinner bait or A-rig. I will take this advice into the weekend and hopefully catch a few while breaking in the new rig. The lake I'm headed to is candlewood, I have had success with catching large mouth but not such good luck on the smallies. Thanks again!
    I was going to ask if it was Candlewood. I’ll be out there too. I fish it a lot, but never this early in the season so I’m going in a bit blind also.