Overnight in Grand Rapids w/boat

My brother will be meeting me in Grand Rapids. Spending the night there. Is there a hotel suggestion for us, he's pulling a boat? Safety first.
    We just need a place to crash for a few hours on our way to Traverse City area. I'm flying in from Nashville. He's driving from Chicago.

2. Member
    Look for something in Rockford, about 20 minutes north of GR......

3. Member
    I agree with Dave...Go North of GR and it will be more secure and you won't have big city traffic to deal with when you head north in the morning up US 131
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

4. Member
    x2
    You should know that in bee tending if you don't shut your trap the bees will get out.

5. Member
    Thanks guys! Hope we can bring some warmth and sunshine with us. Be there 5/10-5/14. Staying at Intermediate wandering around to Skeg, Bellaire and possibly Walloon.

not many places i'd worry about around here unless you're staying at a really cheap place. There are some newer hotels on Alpine avenue near the 131 and 96 interchange. From there you're only about 2hrs from TC though depending on what lake you're heading to. Also a couple newer hotels by the airport on 28th st by 96. Not many places to choose from north of alpine. Personally i'd just finish up the drive though.
    Traffic in the mornings from 96 to 131 and 131 north is nothing to worry about. Everybody is going the opposite direction. I take 96 from the airport to downtown every day

wave when you come in. you'll fly right over my house.
    Last edited by thedude; 04-11-2018 at 12:39 PM.

7. Member
    Hopefully by the time you get up here the lakes will be thawed out. Elk/Skeg and torch are all still frozen like a brick. Had a buddy out on the south arm of Charlvoix 3 days ago fishing on a solid 8 inches of good ice LOL

8. Member
    Not sure haven't been there in a number of years but if it is this is where I would stay. The Swan Inn on Alpine Ave. North of town. Nice clean place room for boat and great place to eat as well.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Polock View Post
    Hopefully by the time you get up here the lakes will be thawed out. Elk/Skeg and torch are all still frozen like a brick. Had a buddy out on the south arm of Charlvoix 3 days ago fishing on a solid 8 inches of good ice LOL
    I was going to come up this weekend....Ice storm has me staying home....Looks like big power outages up your way..
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    I was going to come up this weekend....Ice storm has me staying home....Looks like big power outages up your way..
    The weatherman out of Grand Rapids used the word "incapacitating" when referring to the ice storm slamming us tomorrow.

11. Member
    We are lucky so far here in Elk Rapids area. No power outages so far. Not sure that is going to last though. Only lake that I know of that is open in the area is Duck lake in Interlochen and the bays.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Polock View Post
    We are lucky so far here in Elk Rapids area. No power outages so far. Not sure that is going to last though. Only lake that I know of that is open in the area is Duck lake in Interlochen and the bays.
    I was going to work on the cottage and maybe chase some steelhead from shore...My boat hasn't even been out of storage yet...Still has the dryer sheets in the rod lockers and batteries disconected...lol
    Zinn