Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Buying a pro`s boat ???

What are the pro and con`s, what is your experience on this, Have you had a bad experience, most of the ones you see seem like a good deal. I have been a co angler at this level, and i know some of the guys show there boat no mercy. Most would like a non-refundable deposit to hold the boat. I personally would like to see the engine data before i give a deposit. The brand would be a Ranger. Thanks for your input.

I am not sure on this one, I would think that the boat would be run hard but they get them maintained well thru factory support. I guess to me it would depend on the appearance and would it be a like new warranty with components.
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

3. Member
    It would be ran hard but as the old sane goes "ran hard, put away wet" I don't think they're putting it away wet. Since it is there lively hood you know component wise it is probably good and all maintenance is done regularly or more then normal. You'd get what's left of the factory warranty on the motor.
    2003 Skeeter ZX200

Should be fine as long as its not Ike's boat.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

I have bought two of them from Elite pros. Bought a motor from a pro as well. All were meticulously kept up and pretty well flawless. Would do it again a heartbeat. Dont believe the hype about them being ran hard and ragged out. Both of mine had very low hours. Saved a lot of money too. Well worth it.

You will get a lot of guys saying not to do but they personally have never done so. A lot of it is repeating what they heard. Ask the guys who have done it and you will get a lot more positives than negatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I have bought two of them from Elite pros. Bought a motor from a pro as well. All were meticulously kept up and pretty well flawless. Would do it again a heartbeat. Dont believe the hype about them being ran hard and ragged out. Both of mine had very low hours. Saved a lot of money too. Well worth it.

You will get a lot of guys saying not to do but they personally have never done so. A lot of it is repeating what they heard. Ask the guys who have done it and you will get a lot more positives than negatives.
    Mark, you probably know better than I do but do the pros boats get sent back to the factory to be freshened up before they sell them or is just sold like it is? I've heard both but dont know what is true.

7. Member
    Depends on the pro.

8. Member
    I rode in two "pro's" boats as a marshall and I wouldn't buy either one of them. Probably taken care of as far as maintenance but not so much as care for the rest of the boat.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

9. Member
    I'm still running Shaw Grigsby's Triton he ran at Amistad in 2006. Was bought in 2007. Had 70 hrs at that time now with 525. Would do it again
    Last edited by 6BOOMER; 04-10-2018 at 02:16 PM.

10. Banned
    depends on the pro. Ask for references. Some care for them, some don't.

11. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Ain’t no way!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by BigSexyPhoenix View Post
    Mark, you probably know better than I do but do the pros boats get sent back to the factory to be freshened up before they sell them or is just sold like it is? I've heard both but dont know what is true.
    Some are sent back. Not sure of what brands though.

Why buy one of their boat that been dogged , when most on here baby boats that they paid 80 grand for .

Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    Why buy one of their boat that been dogged , when most on here baby boats that they paid 80 grand for .
    Because the pros are not usually upside down on the loan and are not asking damn near retail pricing for their boats. Lots of money to be saved.

15. Banned
    The up side is that you will be the "original" owner of the boat as I'm guessing the boat is sold as a pro staff deal. So all hull and motor warranties start when you pick up the boat and most likely sold through a marina/dealer. So even if the motor has 100 hrs the warranty starts on day it's in your name and you can probably still buy the extended warranty to go with it. The other good thing is these pros will have the best of the best, I'm sure that ranger is loaded to the t!ts... the negative is the boat was probably run like a rented mule. Just look at one the elite series tv shows, look how they treat the boat. Start it up and stomp on the gas, run 20 mins shut it off and TM is down and fishing before the boat even comes off plane. I know I don't treat my boat that way, but if I didn't pay 80 grand for it and I new I was getting a new 80 grand rig next season I'd be doing the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    The up side is that you will be the "original" owner of the boat as I'm guessing the boat is sold as a pro staff deal. So all hull and motor warranties start when you pick up the boat and most likely sold through a marina/dealer. So even if the motor has 100 hrs the warranty starts on day it's in your name and you can probably still buy the extended warranty to go with it. The other good thing is these pros will have the best of the best, I'm sure that ranger is loaded to the t!ts... the negative is the boat was probably run like a rented mule. Just look at one the elite series tv shows, look how they treat the boat. Start it up and stomp on the gas, run 20 mins shut it off and TM is down and fishing before the boat even comes off plane. I know I don't treat my boat that way, but if I didn't pay 80 grand for it and I new I was getting a new 80 grand rig next season I'd be doing the same thing.
    A quick check of the hours by a dealer can show you how long and at what RPMs the engine was ran. There will be no guessing or mystery to it.

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    A quick check of the hours by a dealer can show you how long and at what RPMs the engine was ran. There will be no guessing or mystery to it.
    The dealer can't tell how hard those hours have been. Was motor allowed to warm to operating temps in the cold? Was motor allowed to settle after being run 70 mph for 1 hr? 300 good hours on a well cared for motor or 100 hours on one beat to hell? Not saying this particular boat was but I have seen tourney guys use their boats and most of them own them!

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    The dealer can't tell how hard those hours have been. Was motor allowed to warm to operating temps in the cold? Was motor allowed to settle after being run 70 mph for 1 hr? 300 good hours on a well cared for motor or 100 hours on one beat to hell? Not saying this particular boat was but I have seen tourney guys use their boats and most of them own them!

I can't speak of elites, but most have to maintain there motors for there deal. And most are actually paying for the boat, so it does them no good to run a boat down, they are just loosing money at that point. I think there are good deals and not so good deals, same goes for any sale. Up to the buyer to figure it out.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

20. Member
    it would depend on the price,i would need a real good deal on it

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast