Line spooling ???

Looking for ideas on how to measure off 50 to 60 yards of line when I'm spooling my reels tired of wasting flouro I have tried the cheap line counters by Shakespear and rapala maybe I'll get a real line machine someday but those are very pricy.

2. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    Every reel box will tell you how many inches of line is retrieved for each turn of the crank. Figure out how many inches in 50 yards and divide it by the inches per revaluation of the reel and the resulting number should be how many times you need to crank the reel.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

3. Member
    I fill my spool with " backing line" to where I like it. DO NOT CUT the backing line. Tie line to something, with rod and reel in hand, walk out 50 yards. Cut backing line at rods end. Roll the 50 yards of backing line back onto its spool. Tie the line of your choice to the backing line. I use a double square knot to do that. Right over left 4 times, and left over right 4 times and wet and pull tight. If done correctly, it should make a cross. Fill reel with line of your choice...BF
    Last edited by BIGFLAT; 04-10-2018 at 04:52 AM. Reason: correction

4. Member
    i made this for spinning reels http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=801915

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    Every reel box will tell you how many inches of line is retrieved for each turn of the crank. Figure out how many inches in 50 yards and divide it by the inches per revaluation of the reel and the resulting number should be how many times you need to crank the reel.
    Keep in mind those numbers are based off a full spool. You really need a static measurement.

6. Member
    This may not be what you want to do. If I pull line off with my left hand; the distance of my left hand and arm stretched out to the left; to my right chest is right at 3 feet (1 yard). I just pull 50 to 60 times.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam W View Post
    Looking for ideas on how to measure off 50 to 60 yards of line when I'm spooling my reels tired of wasting flouro I have tried the cheap line counters by Shakespear and rapala maybe I'll get a real line machine someday but those are very pricy.
    I assume that you have your reels full now. If so, measure off 50-60 yards in your lawn or some other open space. Then, lay your full reels down on the grass. Also, have your new full spool of line that you want to put on the reel handy and mounted so that it can roll off the line spool. Then, grab the tag ends of both the line on your reel and the new line. Walk both out to the 50-60 yard mark. Lay both on the ground, walk back and cut the old line at your reel. Tie on new line to the old backing and reel the new line on your reel. Now that you've done that once, you can add new line by just stripping off the old line down to the backing.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    With New line and a full spool, pull out 50-60yds or whatever distance you like. Cut at the spool then retie.
    Reel everything back in and go fishing.

Next time your ready to re-spool, pull line off to the knot.

9. Member
    Bigger spools would help cut down on waste.

10. Member
    Like previous post, just buy the big spools.

11. Member