Thread: Frustrated

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    Barbarian, is the boat growing on you after being in the rough water or are you still missing your Cat?
    Big difference today vs 3 months ago. 2 big adjustments that made a huge difference.
    1. I lowered the motor from 1.75” to 2.75” PP. This helped make the bow much more responsive up and down depending on conditions.
    2. I have been learning how this boat likes to be driven. It’s way different than my Basscat, and even considerably different than my 210. I had a 195 about 10 years ago and I remember it being similar as for driving characteristics along with my learning curve to get the most out it.

The 496 is very very easy to drive up to WOT and even in rough water for a first timer, but to get all the performance it was built to offer in rough water does require some seat time IMO. I’m not a “everything is the best ever” type so there are some areas I wish it was better but there’s an offset to everything. It can be a tad wet ride because the V has zero flare so the water comes straight up when cutting a wave and it comes up way up front allowing the wind to blow some back over the boat. Now the offset is that there is nothing to hit the wave and pound you. There is also nothing to slap the water if fishing in a chop. One of the big adjustments is when quartering waves are turning at speed and changing angles. The 496 gets really flat from just in front of console to the rear. Like from center V to the side so it’s easier to catch a wave when turning across or driving at a 45. There are times where the front V angle can’t help and if that flat wing hits first, it can tingle you. I just have to be more aware and make the transition with more input to prevent it. The offset is it gives a great amount of stability when moving around or fishing. Zero rocking from side to side. And lastly when there is a 1.5-2’ chop on the water, the 496 is not built to get up and run on top like some. Just as smooth or smoother but not as efficient (more RPM’s for same speed) since your motor stays a little more tucked under.

Overall I’m incredibly pleased and if somebody called me tomorrow and offered me for free - my choice of a 496, 210, or Basscat Puma I’d probably lean to a 496.
    Last edited by barbarian; 04-12-2018 at 09:27 PM.

2. Banned
    Pretty good write up and that says a lot about what you’d pick with no limitation on it.

3. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Barbarian you have found the difference between the 496 and 596 ,having driven both in super rough conditions the 596 has a longer mid to rear section that loves to trap air and will get up on top of the big rollers with more trim range as where the 496 is more of a V wave cutter.My buddy who owns a 496 even said that one day how the 596 is more on top of the waves than his 496.He never has had a problem going fast and cutting the waves with the 300 but there is a difference for sure.One big difference is what waves you can span between the 2 .Both ride as good or better than 90 percent of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by TOUCH OF CLASS View Post
    Merc doc you are right about working on the charger I have put electronics on several and it’s about 10 minutes to run the transducer wire .Cant say that on other brands I have done that to.Everything is open and easy to get to .
    on other brands you better set aside a few hours!

[QUOTE=barbarian;9273389]Big difference today vs 3 months ago. 2 big adjustments that made a huge difference.
    1. I lowered the motor from 1.75” to 2.75” PP. This helped make the bow much more responsive up and down depending on conditions.

it's easy to get the motor to high on the 496, you hear keep going up on the plate until you lose water pressure or speed. But you can get way up there without losing either on that hull. When I first got the boat, I found out 1 inch PTP was to high when the boat didn't turn very good at high speeds. Currently at about the 2.75 mark.

6. Member
    Merc doc you are right about working on the charger I have put electronics on several and it’s about 10 minutes to run the transducer wire .Cant say that on other brands I have done that to.Everything is open and easy to get to .
    Some people have been known to run cables in the dark, in 30 degree weather, and half crocked and still find it easy to do! LMAO!

7. Member
    Excellent review though Barbarian!

8. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wishitwasbigger View Post
    Some people have been known to run cables in the dark, in 30 degree weather, and half crocked and still find it easy to do! LMAO!
    That’s true I saw it

9. Member
    That’s true I saw it
    It was worth it! That new Garmin UHD transducer is the bomb!

10. Charger Boats Moderator TOUCH OF CLASS's Avatar
    I wish I had one

[QUOTE=barbarian;9273389]Big difference today vs 3 months ago. 2 big adjustments that made a huge difference.
    2. I have been learning how this boat likes to be driven. It’s way different than my Basscat, and even considerably different than my 210. I had a 195 about 10 years ago and I remember it being similar as for driving characteristics along with my learning curve to get the most out it.

so once you made the adjustments, what kind of top end are you getting?

12. Member
    [QUOTE=Snoopy Rod;9276411]
    Quote Originally Posted by barbarian View Post
    Big difference today vs 3 months ago. 2 big adjustments that made a huge difference.

so once you made the adjustments, what kind of top end are you getting?
    Not a clue. Have not had a single fishing trip in long time that wind wasn’t blowing crazy.

[QUOTE=barbarian;9276599]
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy Rod View Post

Not a clue. Have not had a single fishing trip in long time that wind wasn’t blowing crazy.
    gotcha, keep that wind out there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12