2001 Mercury 90hp 4 Stroke

I've done some searching on this topic, and an old post brought me here. I have a 2001 Mercury 90hp 4 stroke (Serial # 0T340206) that I wanted to swap the RR on. No big deal, order my new RR. I get it and notice that it does not have the wire for the tachometer. I understand, this is probably the best option, since the RR has a tendency to have issues. But, this brings me to my next issue, and that is the harness. I really do not want to spend the $300+ for the part number 8042903. That would take the project from a simple/cheaper project, to an expensive project. What I am looking for is a better wiring schematic, or picture of the actual harness with the extra green wire for the tach. I am going to see if I can find one that is off a part-out and match it up that way to save me some money.

So, can anyone help?

2. Member
    Someone has to have some good info that can help. Mercury’s response is to buy their $650 kit, and that’s just nutty.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Don't mean to be dense, but it will help if you spell out what you are referring to as "RR".

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Don't mean to be dense, but it will help if you spell out what you are referring to as "RR".
    Regulator Rectifier.