Thread: Starter Issues

Starter Issues

I have a 2008 Pro XS 250. While on the lake this past weekend, I had one instance where the motor would not even try to crank, but after hitting the key 5 or 6 times, it started. Next time I went to start it up, the same issue, but would not crank no matter how many times I hit the key. Took the cowling off and saw that starter gear would shoot up and engage the flywheel but not even attempt to spin. (motor is not seized, flywheel turns by hand fairly easily) I have a group 31 AGM with more than enough CCA and even tried going off both of the other batteries that I have in my boat, with same issue. Once getting it back on the trailer I tried jumping across the solenoid with the same result the first 15 times I hit it, but the motor started on the 16th or so time. Shut it off and tried it on the key and after the 10th or so time it started on the key. Tried jumping the solenoid again, and it again would randomly start after jumping it across the solenoid 10 or 15 times. Can I rule out the solenoid because it seems that I have the same result whether or not I bypass the solenoid and should I just go with a new starter?

2. Member
    does sound like you have starter problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................