Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How can you not buy Power Pole

My old sportsman spike was getting wore i called to buy a new one and they said no way!!! They wont take money there sending a new spike free of charge..Think about that my pole is old and they still cover the spike free of charge
    Thank you Ppwerpole YOUR the best
    I Drive a Allison because I can Drive a Allison

2. Member
    Awesome customer service right there . I really want power poles but I need the depth that power poles doesn't make and I would settle for the 10ft blades but that pole sits way too high above the motor.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

3. BBC SPONSOR
    The spike has a lifetime warranty. Great company to deal with and I am happy to be with them for over 12 years now

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Lifetime spike Warranty no questions asked, That's just How Power Pole rolls..!! No better customer service out there.

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kercha83 View Post
    Awesome customer service right there . I really want power poles but I need the depth that power poles doesn't make and I would settle for the 10ft blades but that pole sits way too high above the motor.
    Honestly very limited need for any shallow water anchor over 8 foot, Power Pole or Talon, with an Ultrex now or in your future.

6. Member
    I have been more than happy with power pole so far. I've had the head unit go out on both of my pumps so far and when I called pp to check on the price of a new one the guy asked me if I had sea monster pumps and what my name and address was and that I would have a new head unit on my doorstep the next day. The first pump I had to get I figured yeah right their going to replace it free of charge and have it over nighted and I was pretty shocked when I got home the next day at 4 pm and there it was and that was the case both times when I had to get new head units. They have a great company that makes good product with great customer service.

Pp is great, still need 10's though they are ugly 5' tall.... 8' isn't deep enough to let spot lock out of the cage!
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

8. Member
    I do have an 112 ultrex right now and I fish river system most of the time with lots of current around 8-10 ft, if I don't use the shallow water anchor then I will run out of battery just using the ultrex because it has to run at 80-90 percent of power just to hold me in the current.
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    Honestly very limited need for any shallow water anchor over 8 foot, Power Pole or Talon, with an Ultrex now or in your future.
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I do have an 112 ultrex right now and I fish river system most of the time with lots of current around 8-10 ft, if I don't use the shallow water anchor then I will run out of battery just using the ultrex because it has to run at 80-90 percent of power just to hold me in the current.
    Always exceptions to the rule lol..

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    8' isn't deep enough to let spot lock out of the cage!

11. Member
    They call them SHALLOW WATER ANCHERS over 10 feet to me is deep
    I love my new 8 foot pp now if the ICE would melt so I can try them
    They work great on the trailer

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Don C View Post
    They call them SHALLOW WATER ANCHERS over 10 feet to me is deep
    I love my new 8 foot pp now if the ICE would melt so I can try them
    They work great on the trailer

Stand up, put you hand up, that's 8', where your elbow is- is where the prop is, any active fish within 20' (length of boat- that's actually really small) will feel so much vibration and constant noise. 10' 12' 15' are all useful depending on how the operator uses them.

14. Member
    Stand up, put you hand up, that's 8', where your elbow is- is where the prop is, any active fish within 20' (length of boat- that's actually really small) will feel so much vibration and constant noise. 10' 12' 15' are all useful depending on how the operator uses them.
    This is why i got 15s. Even in 15ft the prop wash will hit the fish or scare them with the noise

Can you site your source for this? I know Infisherman did some research with outboard noise but I've never seen any studies on trolling motor noise/prop wash. Do they give any detail or numbers on trolling motor speed? Like on 1 noise travels this far and prop wash travels this far?

I ask because I spend the winters on a highland lake and used my Ultrex a lot this winter and last winter in some really shallow water because mine uses such little speed and minimal right to left adjustments that I thought it was better than my Talons screeching over rock.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Syncros View Post
    Can you site your source for this? I know Infisherman did some research with outboard noise but I've never seen any studies on trolling motor noise/prop wash. Do they give any detail or numbers on trolling motor speed? Like on 1 noise travels this far and prop wash travels this far?

I ask because I spend the winters on a highland lake and used my Ultrex a lot this winter and last winter in some really shallow water because mine uses such little speed and minimal right to left adjustments that I thought it was better than my Talons screeching over rock.
    yeah im with Syncros on this one would like to know the source of the tests , if any were conducted. I've caught bedding smallmouth on a drop shot on the St Lawrence over 7 to 10 feet of water with spot lock engaged and they didn't seem to mind in the least. Never left more then a foot from the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    yeah im with Syncros on this one would like to know the source of the tests , if any were conducted. I've caught bedding smallmouth on a drop shot on the St Lawrence over 7 to 10 feet of water with spot lock engaged and they didn't seem to mind in the least. Never left more then a foot from the bed.
    I don't want to derail this thread any further but having over 200 days with an Ultrex I've gone full circle on shallow water anchors. From thinking I'd get rid of my Talons, to realizing I still wanted shallow water anchors but 6 foot Power Poles would be perfect, to thinking the deeper the better for shallow water anchors, and now to back to 6-8 foot Power Poles would be perfect for me (and would take 60 lbs off the back of my boat).

I don't have a complaint with my Talons, but that 60 lbs I'd save is really, really poking at me. So after having used an Ultrex a lot, if I'm wrong in thinking that I don't need 10+ feet of shallow water anchors I'd like to see the data.

18. Member
    Same here. I spend a lot of time in that 8-10 range going down the bank on the river and it would drain the batteries just holding those spots.

Syncros, i can only say some fish given there local habitat can be conditioned to not care about motor traffic wether it is gas or electric, example of fish that straight up don't care is boat ramps that are busy, kneck down areas and marinas, I have literally caught more fish than that I can count by putting a lure in prop wash as people are power loading, these fish are conditioned to the activity and find disoriented food with ease.

Fish that are secluded and in stable conditions know there surroundings, if there world (weeds,gravel) moves and it has never moved before they will lockjaw or flee.

Noise travels better in water than air, we all know that.

There are many tactics for people with ultrex and anchors of any length to get the most out of them. I enjoyed reading that you have cake full circle on anchors in a year.

Syncros, i can only say some fish given there local habitat can be conditioned to not care about motor traffic wether it is gas or electric, example of fish that straight up don't care is boat ramps that are busy, kneck down areas and marinas, I have literally caught more fish than that I can count by putting a lure in prop wash as people are power loading, these fish are conditioned to the activity and find disoriented food with ease.

Fish that are secluded and in stable conditions know there surroundings, if there world (weeds,gravel) moves and it has never moved before they will lockjaw or flee.

Noise travels better in water than air, we all know that.

There are many tactics for people with ultrex and anchors of any length to get the most out of them. I enjoyed reading that you have cake full circle on anchors in a year.
    I'm not questioning noise and it's effect on fish. I'm questioning how you know how far prop wash from a trolling motor travels. If you had said spot lock kicking on and off scares fish I'd accept that but I don't think prop wash is that big of a deal if you use a little common sense.

My first problem with your argument is that you had to get to your spot. So you either big motored there or trolled there or push poled there. Unless you used a push pole you've already done a ton of damage to your fishing. And if you pushed poled in I am sure you turned off your transducers so the clicks don't scare your fish. These are common sense things when sight fishing for spooky fish.

Second, have you paid attention to the speeds your Ultrex uses when you are spot locked? I'm shocked at how low mine is most of the time in a moderate wind. I rarely see it over 4 and a lot of time its .5 or 1 when it's making corrections. I can't even tell mine is one over the sound of the wind. If yours is making big, fast corrections check your boat scale and be sure to not spot lock if you still have a lot of momentum.

Finally, I'm sure you noticed that the boat lines up with the wind or current when you spot lock so the Ultrex, or mine, doesn't make many, if any right or left corrections so the prop wash is going towards the back of boat and I'd think 19 feet of boat would be as bad as prop wash. If you are watching the fish on your graph the prop wash probably isn't anywhere close to him.

If you aren't drop shotting how far away is your target? I tend to start as far from my target as I can make a clean presentation.

And, obviously, spot lock works better the more wind or current you have so things are already moving in the fishes world, and wind is supposed to make them more active, so I'm not convinced that with a little common sense, prop wash is what you need to worry about with spot lock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast