Need education on Spybaiting

Thinking about trying this technique for SM’s. Advise from you guys. Thanks!
    Last edited by WjColdWater; 04-11-2018 at 07:01 AM.

Just take plenty of baits as the northern pike will also love that technique.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Wouldn’t call it a spring bait. May in Canada May still be blade bait weather.

I typically don’t touch a spybait until later in the summer. Could be my mistake, but IMHO there are a lot better pre spawn and spawn baits for smallies

2019 Basscat Caracal
    225 Evinrude G2
    Solix 12 Mega SI bow and console
    Mega Live
    36V Ultrex

Canada would probably be a good place to get some confidence in it, assuming you're going someplace relatively far south in Canada that will have conducive water temps. I'm guessing most places in Canada say, north of Minnesota, won't have open water before the middle of May at the very earliest. At this rate, they may be lucky to have open water by the first of June. I just saw a report from a resort on Red Lake in northern Minnesota where they measured 43 5/8" of ice at the end of February. It was all the way down to 42 3/4" as of yesterday afternoon, a couple of feet from the previously drilled hole. Approximately 50 miles north on Lake of the Woods, 4+ feet of ice has been common and it's even approaching 5 feet in places where it's stacked up. Hell, we've still got well north of 2 feet of ice on lakes in the Twin Cities Metro, a good 5 hour trip from the Canadian border. This has been a spring that just hasn't sprung.

Assuming you get some decent water temps wherever you're going, don't go into it thinking you'll have to do something special to catch them. On most lakes up there you can call your shots with a 3 inch grub. Big rock that looks like it'll have a smallmouth on it? It will, and it will bite too. In fact, you might well not find the smallmouth deep enough to be able to use the Spybait that early in the year.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

I just saw that the OP was going to Canada (Ontario?) in May. Check the regulations, as bass season doesn't open in most of Ontario until the last Saturday in June.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I just saw that the OP was going to Canada (Ontario?) in May. Check the regulations, as bass season doesn't open in most of Ontario until the last Saturday in June.
    ^^^^^ This is correct season not open in May.
    Triton 2003 TR21
    2010 225 HO E-TEC
    HHBC

7. Member
    Just got beat by some dudes throwing spybaits in 42* water.
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soan View Post
    ^^^^^ This is correct season not open in May.
    Depends on the Zone. Parts of Northern Ontario (IE - Zone 5) are open all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aric11 View Post
    Depends on the Zone. Parts of Northern Ontario (IE - Zone 5) are open all year.

10. Member
    Spybaits are normally a summer/fall thing for me, but I have seen conditions work out for it a few times in the spring. Deadly on SM, ok on LM, but anytime they suspend in good numbers a spybait can work. Usually the Jerkbait gets the call in the spring with suspended fish, but lots of people throw those and I think the pressure gets to them.
    2021 Caymas CX21/Mercury 250 Pro XS