Thread: Power head swap

Power head swap

Hey Merc guys, I've got no clue if this can be done or not but here goes. My buddy popped a hole in his 2000, 150XL serial number is 0t068193 it's a 25" shaft motor salt water series. Other bud is getting a new 4 stroke 175 so he's parting out his motor. Says it is a 93 175 XRI SN 0d275805. Question is can I put the 175 on the 150's mid? Do I need to install the adapter plate from the 1993 to the 2000? Will it swap out OK or not?? Not a Merc guy by any stretch and its hard to tell from the parts catalogs what will work with what. Thanks.

2. Member
    It will swap over fine but if it were me I would swap the adapter plates to be safe. That way you know for sure you have the correct tuner for the 175 (although I think there the same for the 175 and 150). They have also been a few minor changes to the adapter plates over the years.
    Don't forget to reuse the long copper tube from the old adapter plate since its a 25" motor.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They're both 2.5L blocks, so he could transfer the entire 2.5L powerhead over.

Just avoid mixing/matching "under-cowling" components.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor