Thread: Jerkbait rod

Bobby8

Jerkbait rod

What are y’all using for jerkbait rods? I know I want a med/med-heavy, fast action 7 footer but what brand? I don’t want to order something on line and I get it and it weighs a ton.

2. Lounge/Texas Club/Triton Boats Moderator Bobs21X's Avatar
    I am a little bias, but been using St. Croix Tournament Legend's since '05 - Love 'Em

3. Member
    I recently picked up a 6'8" rod and am really starting to like the reduced weight ALOT.. I have 7'ers that I used to use but am really liking the 6'8"

4. Bobby8
    Thanks guys, Tailchaser what brand are you throwing, is it a St. Croix as well?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobs21X View Post
    I am a little bias, but been using St. Croix Tournament Legend's since '05 - Love 'Em
    This!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    Thanks guys, Tailchaser what brand are you throwing, is it a St. Croix as well?
    if you can believe it, its a loomis I got on clearance at dicks for @ $80.. I cant remember the exact model etc.. but its a 6'8" MH extra fast.. its probably a little stiffer than some guys use, but I like that I can "snap" the bait on slack line without much load up on the rod, if that makes sense.. seems to make it a little easier, that and the reduced weight.. I really like it...

I'm using the McCain Swamp Stick. It's a 6'8 also. I'm normally a 7'+ rod guy also but I agree with tailchaser. I can get better action with that length.
    Eddie
    2017 Phoenix 920 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro XS

8. Member
    I use a falcon but can't remeber the exact model. I know it's not 7' and that's a good thing. 6'-7" to 6'10" would be the best. I think it's the 6'10" length but I will look later. I used to throw them on a different one but it was to flimsy for me.

9. Bobby8
    Thank y’all very much.

10. Bobby8
    Thank y’all very much. I had never heard of McCains before and am looking at the website now.

11. Member
    Just bought a new Tatula Elite Seth Feider model this spring and I'm super happy with it!

2012 Stratos 189 VLO/150 Mercury Pro XS/MinnKota Terrova

12. Member
    Quite a bit of it can have to do with what jerkbait you mainly throw as far as weight of it and the depth it runs also how much you fish grass versus Open Water.
    I have tried a lot of rods and currently I am throwing a Kistler klx 7'0" medium.... but if I was trying to rip it through heavy grass or hydrilla I would be throwing a different rod.
    Also do you throw Copoly or fluoro or braid? I presume you are throwing fluoro but I do know guys do it on coPoly and braid which does play with what action and power are needed due to a change in the amount of stretch in the line.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

13. Bobby8
    I am throwing on fluorocarbon, generally throwing 110’s over rocks or submerged grass. One of my club buddies is associated with Kistler so I will give them a look as well as the Tatula. Thank you both.

I've been using a 6'-8" McCain Tommy Martin Topwater/Jerkbait model. The length & action works well for me.

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/