Email from Mercury Marine this morning

There has been some confusion ( at least to me) from posts below if a 20 hour service was required
    and can you do your own maintenance. The email should help understand.

Good morning Mr. XXXXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding your Mercury engine, serial #2B544452. We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns.
    The first required service for your new engine would be at 100 hours or once yearly whichever comes first. If you decide to do your own maintenance we would like you to keep a service log of the date, hours on engine, services done and products used. IN your Owner's Manual there will be a maintenance schedule list for you. The 20 hour service is a recommended service but not required and will not void your warranty in any way.
    We hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Customer Service department at 920-929-5040 between the hours of 7:30 am and 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday, CST.
    Sincerely,
    Mercury Outboard Customer Assistance
    Ref.# 2018-50656

I have had great success emailing merc whenever i have a question, quick to respond and you know you are getting good info.

3. Member
    Probably good idea to save/print email and keep with service records.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

4. Member
    On more than one occasion I have been told something and did not agree with what was said, so emailed Mercury. Low and behold what was said in here was not what the manufacturer who backs the product warranty said.

Just because its on the internet does not mean its true!

Recommend people contact their respective engine manufacturer and keep their reply in print.
    Last edited by cfm56doc; 04-11-2018 at 04:42 PM.
    2013 Z118 w/Merc 150 4S

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    5 Keepers:

Not entirely sure what post or thread you were referring to- but we have NEVER indicated that a 20 hour service was MANDATORY.

It is encouraged- and recommended, as an investment in the longevity of your engine. But NOT required.

Quote Originally Posted by cfm56doc View Post
    On more than one occasion I have been told something and did not agree with what was said, so emailed Mercury. Low and behold what was said in here was not what the manufacturer who backs the product warranty said.

Just because its on the internet does not mean its true!

Recommend people contact their respective engine manufacturer and keep their reply in print.
    This statement is simply not necessary. We try diligently to ensure that info here is kept up to date.

I am aware of ONE email instance- and the email you received was an errant response.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor