Fluorocarbon Line on Baitcaster

This may be a newbish question, but for the life of me, i can't figure this out. I think i'm spooling it onto my reels correctly, but maybe i'm not. But I will put on fresh line, and within a week, i'll start having what i call pigtails in my line. Not line twist that you see with a spinning reel, but the line twirls(for lack of a better word) like a slinky. Is that normal or am i doing something wrong? I'm spooling with the line coming off the top of the spool. And for reference, i'm talking 15-17lb flouro. I use line spray when spooling also.
    2009 Ranger Z520, Mercury 250 ProXS

Knowing what brand of line would help, but generally speaking, the more you spend on fluorocarbon the less trouble you have with it. A squirt or two of KVD about a half hour before you use the rod usually cures the coils.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

You're dealing with line memory. Line conditioner helps as stated. The other tip is, tie off line to something, run it out by walking away and tug out the memory. Spray line periodically upon retrieval with KVD.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

4. Member
    Seaguar invizx is what i use

I use KVD's line conditioner when spooling, but hadn't tried spraying it the morning of fishing or anything. I'll give it a try.

Invizx is usually pretty easy to get along with. I usually use Sunline Sniper FC but if I can't get it, Invizx is my next choice. Maybe an old spool. Also, if you're used to a soft mono or braid, fluorocarbon with feel like wire. It takes some getting used to...especially the heavier test weight you go. 10, 15, and 18 are the weights I usually use.

You might also try letting all your line out on the water without a bait or weight of any kind. Let it out and then reel it in good and snug, pinching it between your fingers as you reel. Sometimes it just needs some persuasion. Other times I have pulled off a spool full of line that I had fished with once just because it was just too cantankerous. That was P-Line Halo for me...never could make that stuff cast right.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

6. Member
    Sounds like you may be putting big line on a reel with a small spool. What reel and what line you got? Also, make sure the line is not wrapping around the eyes or end of rod when you spool it. Usually better to run the line directly onto the spool without going through any rod eyes or just going through the one closet to the reel.

7. Member
    All of the above. I use invisx. But I also go as light as I can.
    2017 Puma FTD
    250 Pro XS
    lowrance gen 3, 9 and 12
    Ultrex 112 36v 45”

8. Member
    13 fishing concept A & C are the reels that I use

9. Member
    I’ve put up to 20lb flouro on those reels. Make sure you’re pulling the line from the top of the spool, not the bottom with the spool being vertical. Spray a couple sprays of line conditioner while spooling and after every trip. If it’s happening while you’re fishing, your bait is messed up and spinning on you causing the twist which I’ve experienced also.
    2022 Skeeter FXR20 Limited

10. Member
    line conditioner will help you a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    13 fishing concept A & C are the reels that I use
    I use the same reels without your issues. I always use line butter during the day and before I start fishing I cast as far as I can and use the water to lubricate the line.

12. Member
    Definitely sounds like a memory issue. What I do with all my reels both spinning and casting is spray on some conditions and let it soak in a good 10 - 15 minutes. Then find a section of the lake where you are all alone. Peel off some line and put the motor in gear to idle very slowly. Your line should start to peel off the reels by itself. Drive in a straight line until you're down to the backing or base of your main line. Then simple reel it back in with the rod tip close to the water. Once your done it will be like having brand new line on the reel. I do this for braid, copolymer and floro. Takes all the memory coils, kinks etc out of the line and tripples the life of line I'd have otherwise tossed before someone showed me this. Hope this helps!

I watched a video that Zona claims with a spin reel to spool it off the bottom instead on it side..

14. Member
    When I spool up with flouro I always tie the end to something solid and walk out about 25 yards or so and stretch the line. I will also do it between trips. Line conditioners help as well.