Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    The non-NMEA Mercmonitors (Basic aka Level 0) are no longer made. They have a much cheaper lens and are harder to read in bright sunlight. They also do not have user selectable Tri-data screens. You will not have any NMEA inputs from a GPS to calculate, speed, range and other efficiency calculations. In the end it is your money but I believe the Level1 is worth every extra dollar.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

2. Member
    Level 1 it is then. Thanks!

3. Member
    Good Evening Everyone -

Have a couple of questions around the install of the VVL. I have heard a number of posts state they have installed the VVL module (controller) on the cowling. Then they have run the NMEA 2000 wire from the controller to the network which is much easier to run than any other option. I am good with this option and am willing to get moving on the install. However, I am a bit concerned about how to address the install on the cowling as I would need to screw the module in place, something I am unwilling to do since it would damage the cowling.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for where to mount the controller? Gorilla Tape? Glue? LOL IDK really I thought about mounting it to the face plate on the motor that provides maintenance; but not sure that is a good idea.

I did purchase the 84-879982T20 harness and could consider running it from the motor to the console, but that is a bit much and would take considerably more time than running the NMEA 2000 cable.

Any help is appreciated!
    Last edited by hellcatz; 02-24-2021 at 11:19 PM.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hellcatz View Post
    Good Evening Everyone -

Have a couple of questions around the install of the VVL. I have heard a number of posts state they have installed the VVL module (controller) on the cowling. Then they have run the NMEA 2000 wire from the controller to the network which is much easier to run than any other option. I am good with this option and am willing to get moving on the install. However, I am a bit concerned about how to address the install on the cowling as I would need to screw the module in place, something I am unwilling to do since it would damage the cowling.

Does anyone have a better suggestion for where to mount the controller? Gorilla Tape? Glue? LOL IDK really I thought about mounting it to the face plate on the motor that provides maintenance; but not sure that is a good idea.

I did purchase the 84-879982T20 harness and could consider running it from the motor to the console, but that is a bit much and would take considerably more time than running the NMEA 2000 cable.

Any help is appreciated!

The Vessel View LINK cannot be installed inside the engine cowling. Only the Vessel View MOBILE is currently approved for that purpose.

You would need a complete Smartcraft Network, a complete NMEA-2000 Network, the Vessel View Link, and a compatible graph in order to use this option.

I would strongly encourage you to contact Rhonda (see her post, pinned at the top of this forum) as she can help you put together everything you will need in a packaged kit, and can also provide you with a list of the various options and special BBC member pricing (if you email her).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    The Vessel View LINK cannot be installed inside the engine cowling. Only the Vessel View MOBILE is currently approved for that purpose.

You would need a complete Smartcraft Network, a complete NMEA-2000 Network, the Vessel View Link, and a compatible graph in order to use this option.

I would strongly encourage you to contact Rhonda (see her post, pinned at the top of this forum) as she can help you put together everything you will need in a packaged kit, and can also provide you with a list of the various options and special BBC member pricing (if you email her).

Thank you EuropeanAM - I wish I had reached out before I already purchased everything. :(

So I was able to run everything external to the motor. Added a junction box for my Vessel View Mobile and everything was working. The VVL was showing trim, volts, etc. on my HDS 16 Live. Then I ran the update I downloaded from the Mercury website for the VVL through the transfers screen on my HDS. The first few times I could not get it to update and finally everything updated in the HDS. Then the HDS told me to Upgrade the VVL through the system I pressed UPGRADE on the HDS screen.

The UPGRADE Promptly Failed and now the VVL is not seen at all across the NMEA 2000 network. After numerous tries to refresh the network, change out NMEA cables and eventually power down everything and disconnecting the batteries for a few hours.... My HDS cannot see the VVL which likely says to me the VVL has failed completely. :(

Any ideas on this issue... or solutions? Always up for a solution other than purchasing another unit and NOT updating it at all...

Thank you again for the previous suggestions - always wise and helpful

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Try an sd card. Format it FAT32 (critical).

Download latest update from Mercury and place on card.

Unplug unit overnight- place card in unit.

Plug unit back in and turn key on. Wait, even if you see nothing (currently) on your screen.

Can take up to 30 minutes (uninterrupted)... best to just walk
    away and come back in 20-30 min.

Good luck!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Try an sd card. Format it FAT32 (critical).

Download latest update from Mercury and place on card.

Unplug unit overnight- place card in unit.

Plug unit back in and turn key on. Wait, even if you see nothing (currently) on your screen.

Can take up to 30 minutes (uninterrupted)... best to just walk
    away and come back in 20-30 min.

Good luck!

I again appreciate the insight. Unfortunately this still remains a mystery. I reformatted the 8GB SDHC card as a FAT32 to ensure it was good to go. I went to the Mercury site once more to ensure I had the correct update for the Link module. Copied the update from my computer to the SDHC card and unplugged the Link from the harness and NMEA2000. Left it out overnight with the updated SDHC in the Link. From about 9 PM to approximately 8 AM my time (PST). I went to the boat and plugged in the link device, ensuring the SDHC was intact, and turned on the ignition.

Once everything was set I retired to cleaning the shower and tub in addition to getting myself cleaned up for a cold day in Vegas. Since I am not pretty it took at least the last hour and a half to complete. Returning to the boat I turned off the ignition and turned on the Lowrance HDS 16 then the ignition on the boat to ensure everything was up and running.

Still - nothing from Mercury appears on the screen. No Data, No App, nothing. #FIRE #FRUSTRATED

I decided to check the NEMA2000 once again on the HDS - it simply is not seeing the VVL module. Almost like the first update wiped the Link clean of all software. I know the NMEA is getting power because everything else shows on the device list and is actively communicating, but the Link left the party. The only other thing I can think of trying is to remove the other NMEA items from the network and only connect the VVL. I know my SmartCraft is operational because the VV Mobile is operating off the Junction Box. I have also switched the VVL with the VVMobile just to ensure I have data and power to the VVL.

At this point I am simply perplexed as to why the system worked fine and then after the failed update NOTHING! I wish this thing had a factory reset button - that would be absolutely AMAZING! #MERCURYBOO

Any further thoughts?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    hellcatz- at this point I think it's going to be prudent to open your own, separate thread for your engine and Vesselview Link. That prevents the confusion of many, many systems in this thread.

I am also going to suggest that you get your boat to an Authorized Mercury Dealer to have the VVL unit checked. Be sure to take proof of purchase with you (proof of retail consumer purchase from an Authorized Mercury Dealer within the last 365 days is your Warranty).

It may be necessary to try to reload a previous version of the software (if they don't have one suitable, Mercury Technical Support can assist them).

9. Member
    Thank you for the info!

So the Vessel View Link will work with a 2006 Mercury Optimax 3.0L 225 ? part number 8M0110639 ?
    Thanks
    Power Pole Staff
    Seaguar VIP
    Team Ardent Pro Staff
    WOO Tungsten
    Amphibia Pro Staff
    Hayabusa Fishing Hooks
    Keitech VIP
    Revital Outdoors Pro Staff
    Titan Lures
    Amsoil
    Lowrance State Team

JB's Fish Sauce
    Str8 Up Mounts Pro Staff

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZReel View Post
    So the Vessel View Link will work with a 2006 Mercury Optimax 3.0L 225 ? part number 8M0110639 ?
    Thanks
    Work: Yes.

There is more required than "just" the Vessel View Link. Good idea to drop an email to Rhonda in our Parts Department (see her post, sticky at the top of this forum) and she can provide you with options, packaged kits with everything you need, and special BBC member pricing.

12. Member
    Don,
    I have a Level 1 Mercmonitor with a NMEA 2000 hookup for my 200 Optimax that I bought from you a couple of years ago. I just got notification from Garmin that Mercury has produced a Smartcraft module for connecting to Garmin chartplotters ( I have a GPS1042xsv). How would this integrate into the existing MercMonitor system that I have. Thanks.
    Jeff

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It can be added with only minimal changes at the console. Drop Rhonda an email (in the Parts Department- see her post pinned at the top of the Forum).

She can send you information on the Smartcraft Connect HELM mounted setup (with a J-box).

14. Member
    O6 sb, great post!

03 opti 200
    Sn ot760115
    Smartcraft

Quick question. I have the smartcraft speed / tach like the white ones in your pic. I have the tilt trim sensor you show in your pic (mine must have failed) and its throwing my smartcraft fits. The tilt data is stuck on "25" which is full tilt up trailer so as I'm cruising around with motor tilted all the way down the smartcraft keeps jumping back to the silly tilt screen to tell me I'm running boat with motor tilted up. So annoying. What's the easiest way to get rid of this trim data so gauge stops displaying it and screen will stop jumping back to the tilt data screen every minutes or so?
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 10-01-2021 at 06:18 AM.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Distraction View Post
    O6 sb, great post!

03 opti 200
    Sn ot760115
    Smartcraft

Quick question. I have the smartcraft speed / tach like the white ones in your pic. I have the tilt trim sensor you show in your pic (mine must have failed) and its throwing my smartcraft fits. The tilt data is stuck on "25" which is full tilt up trailer so as I'm cruising around with motor tilted all the way down the smartcraft keeps jumping back to the silly tilt screen to tell me I'm running boat with motor tilted up. So annoying. What's the easiest way to get rid of this trim data so gauge stops displaying it and screen will stop jumping back to the tilt data screen every minutes or so?

This would be a good question for a separate post. Check tri-lobe pin to make sure it's in place, and if it is, replace the digital trim sender.

16. Member
    Yes Sir.

17. Member
    How do I tell what mercmonitor I have? It recently died so I can not turn it on to get any information. It did have eco mode and I do not see a fuse on the wiring harness if that helps at all. Date 48/16, sw v4.602,vdo number a2c12072300. Looking to replace it but am scared to since my current harness does not have a fuse and dont want to burn another expensive unit up. THanks

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drappuhn View Post
    How do I tell what mercmonitor I have? It recently died so I can not turn it on to get any information. It did have eco mode and I do not see a fuse on the wiring harness if that helps at all. Date 48/16, sw v4.602,vdo number a2c12072300. Looking to replace it but am scared to since my current harness does not have a fuse and dont want to burn another expensive unit up. THanks
    Welcome to BBC!

Fuse has nothing to do with burning up- since it's not used to power the MercMonitor when coupled to a MERCURY engine.

Your Mercmonitor is a BASIC (Level "zero").

Please take a few minutes to view the Announcements at the top of the Forum- and open a separate thread for your engine/boat in the future. Thanks!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234