HPDI idle problem

The problem on occurs in neutral. When the motor is running, it seems like it is missing bad if in neutral; sometimes hard to keep running. Top end is fine. If I shift to reverse then back to neutral, it idles smooth. I’ve replaced the neutral safety switch. Any ideas?

2. Member
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain98045 View Post
    Did you ever figure out what was wrong with it?

I have not. I'm wondering if it could be something to do with the injectors or low pressure fuel pumps. The motor is running on 6 cylinders whenever I shift from reverse back into neutral which causes it to not flood out and stall. I could be way off. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but this problem has had me scratching my head for a while.

4. Member
    That motor runs on four cylinders when in neutral

5. Member
    The problem ended up being one of the shift switches. I replaced the top one that is most commonly a problem for these engines, but the bottom switch needed adjustment.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gmn012 View Post
    The problem ended up being one of the shift switches. I replaced the top one that is most commonly a problem for these engines, but the bottom switch needed adjustment.
    I am having a similar issue. How did you check the bottom for adjustment? And how did you determine the top was bad? Thanks!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Horton View Post
    I am having a similar issue. How did you check the bottom for adjustment? And how did you determine the top was bad? Thanks!
    PM sent

I'd like to know also...........Thanks