Thread: Am I Nuts?y

Am I Nuts?y

I read all about trailer tires and how I should not be running on old tires, but I have to say that my 1988 tires are still holding up perfectly. That’s right, 1988 tires. These are original to the trailer purchased new in 1988. When I bought this rig 3years ago, it had sat covered and tarped in a warehouse since 2002. The original owner told me the tires are original. I looked them over and found no cracking or checking at all. In fact, they still had the little nibs sticking Olof them. Last fall, I took a 1500 mile round trip with it and had NO problems at all. I keep the 50psi in them and they are performing perfectly. So am I asking for trouble, or do I run them till they are worn out?
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

I am sure they have life in them. However, I wouldn’t push the envelope to far especially on a single axle..
    2001 Ranger 518DVX Comanche / Mercury 200 Opti (OT306368)

Perhaps towing 5 miles to and from a local lake wold not be a problem. But, you're asking for trouble towing on a trip with tires that old.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    Dangerous

5. Member
    Tire Manufacture Association put out an article that ST rated trailer tires (and I am assuming thats what they are) sidewall strength drops to half in about 3 or 4 years. If the tire is made properly, the sidewall of a trailer tire is its weakest link. Thats why most tire companies that make and sell a ST tire, recommend them to be changed every 3 to 4 years. If you go on Carlils's web sight they have a FAQ video which clearly states that no trailer tire should be operated more than 5 years regardless of the tread depth and mileage. I would not want the safety liability of hurting someone else from running these tires because I was not willing to spend a few hundred dollars. Guaranteed the approach a lawyer would take if that would happen.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    Perhaps towing 5 miles to and from a local lake wold not be a problem. But, you're asking for trouble towing on a trip with tires that old.
    I agree.

7. Member
    You will probably experience trouble and possible danger at a most inconvenient time. I had a 14 year old trailer tire come apart last November. Fortunately, I was pulling away from a stop light and only going about 5mph when it completely disintegrated. They still looked great. However, I knew they were living on borrowed time, and I was shopping for replacements. If you are worrying about them now, go ahead and replace them and save yourself future trouble. I learned from the tire shop that the DOT has a requirement that tires 10 years old and older must be taken off the street.

and repack the bearings pronto!

2012 changed out my USA made GY Marathones ( 11 years old). Never had a flat, checked psi EVERYTIME it left the garage. I replaced them with the Khumo LT tires---- biggest POS I have ever had. Still have one that looks brand new. They replaced two of them after 1500 miles or so---- broke belts, the third one broke a belt and I replace that one and the one that was left with a different brand.

11. Member
    Kuhmo was a Korean company bought out by a Chinese company. The Chinese have definitely demonstrated their outstanding QA/QC manufacturing process in other Chinese brands they own or manufacture. I agree with the statement above. A POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass AHolic View Post
    and repack the bearings pronto!
    I put all new bearings and races in last fall prior to my long trip. Ironicly, the old bearings looked like new. I'm willing to bet the trailer didn't have a thousand miles on it!

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like I'll be doing some Endurance shopping! Much appreciated!
    "Cast Everything in the Best Light Possible"

13. Member
    Maybe they are bias ply, that do not flex as much as radial tires.

14. Member
    They are probably better than the crap that is on the market today. I'd run'em till they croke.
    Rocket