Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer blew fuse on my truck 14 Ford F150

Trailer blew fuse on my truck 14 Ford F150, anyone know which fuse is blown? Manual is a little unclear!

Thx, EB

2. Member
    What doesn't work? Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    It’s in the box under the hood, but like CJ1 said, you have to tell us what isn’t working.

BTW, it’s going to blow again because you have a wire rubbed bare on the trailer.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    If it is a Ranger boat trailer, the owners manual tells you what wire is what and will help you try to track down the problem there. Replace the fuse in the truck and see if it does blow again and you will definitely know it is not a fuse problem. I blew one in my F150 while towing and it did turn to to be the truck fuse itself was bad.

Did you plug your lights in---- when the truck lights were on??? The fuse is under the hood-------

6. Member
    Tires lock up in reverse. It did with my buddy's boat, we heard something pop when it happened last year. I've been using the slug to back it up!

7. Member
    purple or blue wire might have a short on trailer or in plug.

8. Member
    my 2017 621fs did the same thing to my 2014 ford f150. its the backup lights. if you determine problem let me know!

9. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    You blew the trailer backup light fuse in the box under the hood. Your blue wire probably has been pinched in the trailer tongue.
    nothing else matters.​

10. Member
    i have had same problem on my previous ranger 620vs and current boat with the 2014 ford f150.

could it be in the truck plug instead?

Thx

11. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    i have had same problem on my previous ranger 620vs and current boat with the 2014 ford f150.

could it be in the truck plug instead?

Thx
    It could, but probably 99 Times out of 100 it’s a bare blue wire in the tongue.
    nothing else matters.​

12. Member
    Must be pretty common problem, helped fix a buddies same problem last year. Postings above should help ya track the problem.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    It could, but probably 99 Times out of 100 it’s a bare blue wire in the tongue.

well went under trailer and blue wire looks new (2017) from one end to the other. hmm.

two rangers both same issue. comes and goes but now always.

found the tiny 15amp fuse again. pulled out. looked ok.

cant be.

go in dark and use bright flashlight - the fuse at very tip of upside down U was partially blown.

Explains everything.

who designs a fuse you cant see unless in dark with bright light shining through the blue plastic???

thx for the help

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uwbadger View Post
    well went under trailer and blue wire looks new (2017) from one end to the other. hmm.

two rangers both same issue. comes and goes but now always.

found the tiny 15amp fuse again. pulled out. looked ok.

cant be.

go in dark and use bright flashlight - the fuse at very tip of upside down U was partially blown.

Explains everything.

who designs a fuse you cant see unless in dark with bright light shining through the blue plastic???

thx for the help
    Never trust a visual check of a fuse. Measure them if in doubt.
    nothing else matters.​

15. Banned
    Should be right side kick panel look at cover to determine fuse. Buddy kept hooking up 4 pin connector upside down so I bought the 7 pin plug no more problems

16. Member
    Those little plug in fuses have a part of the conductor bare just below the "top" surface on both sides of the fuse link. You can read the voltage on both sides with a light or meter without removing it from the circuit, a visual inspection does not always indicate whether the fuse is any good.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    Those little plug in fuses have a part of the conductor bare just below the "top" surface on both sides of the fuse link. You can read the voltage on both sides with a light or meter without removing it from the circuit, a visual inspection does not always indicate whether the fuse is any good.

I appreciate all the help. I can say that this fuse has been giving me issues for 3 years!. It seemed random wether or not the trailer breaks would release backing up. With two different rangers.

I grew up servicing 20 f250's for my families construction business but never had this kind of issue with a fuse - sometimes worked sometimes didn't until complete failure last fall / this spring.

Since replacement all cured. $2.99 to solve the problem.

It was in the engine compartment and not the side kick panel on passenger side.

18. Member
    I have 2013 F150 hooked to a triton trailer as well. I had the same issue occur a few times. Each time it happened, the same fuse blew under the hood. Then I noticed it only happened when I was using t auto start funchion while having the boat hooked up. Once I stopped doing that, the problem went away.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjjaymmman View Post
    I have 2013 F150 hooked to a triton trailer as well. I had the same issue occur a few times. Each time it happened, the same fuse blew under the hood. Then I noticed it only happened when I was using t auto start funchion while having the boat hooked up. Once I stopped doing that, the problem went away.
    Uh Oh. New can of worms.

I was just thinking (dangerous I know), but if it is a short in the vehicle blowing the fuse, wouldn't it blow whether a trailer was connected or not? That circuit always has 12v on it when the ignition is on and you put it in reverse, correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast