To contract or not to contract.

After a recent house fire we are going to have to completely rebuild the inside of our house. Insurance is going to take great care of us as far as I know. Question is do I hire a contractor to handle the work or hire the work out myself? I feel like I can hire the work out and save myself some money and have more things done for the money. Or I can let him handle everything and not have to worry or keep up as much. Thoughts?

2. Member
    If you’re connected enough (know the right people) and have the time and energy, do it yourself. You are correct in what you say, but it’s not always that simple. Good luck with your decision.
    2014 Phoenix 721XP, 250 SHO, Bobs Action Jack, Dual Blades, 112 Ultrex, 2019 Lariat FX4 F150 Supercrew 4x4

3. Member
    A lot to consider with this decision, but first and foremost would be your access to subcontractors. Where I live, it is difficult to get bids, unless you know someone or have some connections in the industry. If that isn't as big of a factor in your neck of the woods, go for it. It isn't rocket science, but will take up a TON of your time corodinating, scheduling, rescheduling, checking work, etc.

4. Member
    Most if not all insurance companies have a general contractor for each geographic location. Normally your insurance co will only deal directly with the contractor. Talk with your claim adjuster and find out who they plan to use.
    John the Garage Doorman

5. Member
    i agree with the above yes it can be done but remember you being a home owner and not a GC your going to the end of the line with the subs. Subs are not going to drop the people that keep them busy for a one time job. and also your going to pay more to get subs there because most are already booked up.

6. Member
    I agree with bassworm1... and also...you should do some research on who the insurance company recommends. In a lot of cases your insurance company wants you to "believe" that they are your friend! They are after all, a for profit business. You do not in any way have to use their contractor...as long as who you choose is reasonable in price...In a lot of cases...although not all...I see low ball figures from the adjuster initially. If you accept their payment ...you get what you get...and you may not get what you should...the best of luck!

This is no easy task !! Unless you have had General Contractor training, you'd be best to hire a contractor who KNOWS what and when to schedule. PLUS, if anything goes wrong, HE IS the on the hook and at no additional expense to you !!! Your Ins Co probably has a few that they deal with, but may allow you to find your own. Whoever you choose, make sure they are properly licensed, BONDED, and INSURED !! Also, ask them to give you a certificate of Additional Insured listing you as the additional insured. This will come FROM the Ins co. NOT FROM HIM. If he hands you one, its bogus !!! This protects you in case of a major injury or damage. Make sure he has Workers Comp Ins and Liability Ins. Once you decide who, ask for a list of at least 3 homes he's done that you can go look at and talk to the Home owners. If anyone objects or even hesitates, move on to the next guy.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    Do you have construction experience and I don’t mean some handy man things? I am a licensed GC and have seen more shoddy work than you can shake a stick at from real “contractors” and homeowners alike. There is no substitute for having a quality job done when it is finished. Having someone to call when there is a problem is critical as well; Subcontractors are not going to respond like a GC as a rule. Another concern is your ability to find qualified subcontractors. As busy as it is most of the good ones are swamped and a new customer usually comes second to the regulars.