Thread: Winn Grips

Winn Grips

Built a rod with Winn Grips. Not sure of I like the grips due to the seam. Used them on golf clubs for years but they arent the same. Anyone have issues with the seam on these coming apart?

Last edited by bkeenom; 04-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.

Looks sweet!

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

3. Member
    Used Winn grips for the first time on my last build. I have the same concerns about the seam. In my house I was not too impressed with the feel, but on my first fishing trip I used the pole and I do like the way they feel in real fishing circumstances. Time will tell.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BRADVAN View Post
    Used Winn grips for the first time on my last build. I have the same concerns about the seam. In my house I was not too impressed with the feel, but on my first fishing trip I used the pole and I do like the way they feel in real fishing circumstances. Time will tell.
    I like the way they feel as well. Especially in cold, wet conditions. They are also really easy to work and install. And as you can see, i am not a fan of those stupid looking lime green grips and wraps. Uglier than a teal green Chevy pickup

5. Member
    Give them a year and they'll be hard and slick.

I have 7-8 rods with over 2 years use with factory Winn Grips (not the wraps, I do have those on some other rods and they have help up great too), never had an issue with a seem.
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

7. Member
    I've built a fair number with Winn's, don't like them personally but people that I've built for seem to like them. Never had anyone call me with any durability issues.

8. Member
    No durability issues at all here. I loves them on rod not seeking a touch feel. I do wish they would quit changing them

2023 Phoenix 920 Elite
    2023 Mercury Pro XS 4S

9. Member
    I have installed full Winn Grips on several rods around three years ago and so far no problems.

I don't like them for golf clubs they are designed to cut down on vibration. Or IMHO sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I don't like them for golf clubs they are designed to cut down on vibration. Or IMHO sensitivity.
    Never really thought of that, but some of the most sensitive rods I own have them...

so either they dont hurt sensitivity significantly, OR those rods could be better haha
    2021 Phoenix 920 Elite / SHO 250
    Bullet 21XD / 250 XB (Gone to a great home in LA)
    "There is no such thing as a bad day fishing!"

i've been using them for years, no they did not get hard or slick, and my customers have never complained either. i use them on everything i build, unless the customer requests something different. Very easy to modify and work with, more colors would be nice tho.

I am thinking about replacing the grips on the majority of my rods with winn grips, I love them on my golf clubs lol
    '06 Xpress X19 TS | 150 Yamaha VMAX

14. 1/2 of ' team catfish ' ol man river's Avatar
    ive had zero issues with winn grips. the seam is , well, the seam. i put it on the bottom and don't worry about it

15. Member
    I've got 2 rods with Winn that I've had for 3-4 yrs. No seam problems, not hard, not slick. I like them! But, I don't have any of the hangups/gripes with this kind of stuff others seem to. I like cork best but I get along with anything.