Thread: Life jacket

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The problem is that I never got a good answer with a reference. Capt. Crunch says one thing, Major Tom says another. I don't want Sgt Pepper writing me up. I didn't go to the BBC School of Law so I'll keep looking. If the guy calls me back, I'll post his response and take his word for it.

Well, just got off the phone. He said it doesn't need to be worn, just have it in the boat. That's Oklahoma. Your results may differ. Surprised he called back so soon.
    Last edited by fr8dog; 04-17-2018 at 04:25 PM.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
    Nothing on the USCG website requires you to wear an inflatable at all times, just that they are approved and charged.

http://www.uscgboating.org/recreatio...ife-jacket.php
    ^^^^^
    TN laws are I’m sure different then other states, TN doesn’t require you to wear one at all. Just kids under 12 years of age.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    ^^^^^
    TN laws are I’m sure different then other states, TN doesn’t require you to wear one at all. Just kids under 12 years of age.
    Correct, the individual states have the ability to govern themselves in this regard. The USCG doesnt require it, at that point its up to state regulation. Washington State has no verbage stating they must be worn, just that they need to be on board.

https://boat.wa.gov/LifeJackets.asp

http://parks.state.wa.us/451/Life-jackets
    06 Skeeter 20i Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Visit my Youtube Channel!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCW6p06navSpOqUn3xotG2vA

In Georgia the type 5 has to be worn to count .

5. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTZ25 View Post
    In Georgia the type 5 has to be worn to count .
    I live in TN, I love my Mustang HIT!!

6. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    Can someone point the way to the evidence for these failures?
    Roger will be along to answer this one.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by e-tec View Post
    Can someone point the way to the evidence for these failures? Maybe someone should call the US Coast Guard so they can pull their approval. If they don't work we should not be using them.

There certainly have been some, including those experienced by members of this board. Who knows what combination of manufacturer's defect, maintenance, etc come into play?

Still, I'd bet the overwhelming majority of drownings occur because no PFD of any kind was worn. Having one on gets you 99% of the way.

8. mikesxpress
    Having one that works.

9. Banned
    ^^^^^
    Wrong, just got off the phone the chief of law enforcement for the TWRA. For an inflatable to be considered a pfd, for you to be legal if it is all you have in the boat, you HAVE to be wearing it. No exceptions, well except for the game wardens who will give you a one time pass.

Also inflatables are not legal for children and I don't remember what age he told me but I believe it is 13 and under.

10. Banned

11. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M4826nosler View Post
    Wrong, just got off the phone the chief of law enforcement for the TWRA. For an inflatable to be considered a pfd, for you to be legal if it is all you have in the boat, you HAVE to be wearing it. No exceptions, well except for the game wardens who will give you a one time pass.

Also inflatables are not legal for children and I don't remember what age he told me but I believe it is 13 and under.
    So what they are saying is you don’t have to wear one, but you have to have one in the boat. For an inflatable to be one it’s has to be on.
    Perfect lawyer writing, guess I’ll go get an old orange one and stuff it up in the front of the boat so I have one if I’m ever asked!

Lived on the lake 13 years and have never been asked, as soon as they pull up I just offer them a beer!!

12. Banned
    That would be correct. You have to have a pfd for each person in the boat. If the only pfd available for whoever is an inflatable, it has to be worn to be considered legal.

Under the age of 13, they are not allowed to have an inflatable and they have to have a pfd on at ALL times when on the water in a boat.

I live in TN, I love my Mustang HIT!!
    I still wear one , next time I need it I figure the odds are in my favor ,it will open .

14. Member

15. mikesxpress
    Mustang High Collar SAR PFD
    Product Description

The MV5600 SAR Vest is strength-tested to 100MPH meaning it has been designed, tested and approved to hold up to rigorous activities. The high neoprene-lined collar provides impact protection by minimizing neck mobility and the large 3-belt adjustment system creates a secure fit
    The MV5600 SO SAR lift vest is strength-tested to 100 mph, meaning it has been designed, tested, and approved to hold up to rigorous outdoor activities on the water, even in foul weather. A high, neoprene-lined collar minimizes neck mobility for increased impact protection, while the three-belt adjustment system ensures a snug, custom fit. Large cutaway arm holes provide good range of motion, and large front cargo pockets with a fast-tab radio clip are handy for storing essential items. This durable, comfortable vest is recommended for commercial fishing, industrial marine, offshore oil and gas, and military uses.

Features

• Strength rating of 100 mph
    • Two large front cargo pockets with easy-to-use pull tabs for extra storage
    • Large cutaway armholes for maximum range of motion
    • High collar provides head support
    • Three-belt system for a custom fit
    • 62-square-inch SOLAS reflective tape for high visibility
    • Neoprene-lined, fitted collar provides comfort and head support

Warranty
    Mustang PFDs include a limited one-year manufacturer's warranty against defects in materials and workmanship.

16. Member
    I wear a jacket when moving. I also have a SHORT life rope tieing me to the boat in case I fall out when moving. My body can not get hit by the prop !! I am dragged on the surface right next to the stopped boat. No " Boat come back " as the wind blows it away.

The lanyard switch works & it is tied to me.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops2 View Post
    I wear a jacket when moving. I also have a SHORT life rope tieing me to the boat in case I fall out when moving. My body can not get hit by the prop !! I am dragged on the surface right next to the stopped boat. No " Boat come back " as the wind blows it away.

The lanyard switch works & it is tied to me.
    sarcasm? rope tied to you at 70... 200 pounds of man connected to 3000 pounds of machine?
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123