Onboard charging question

Newbie to onboard chargers. Have to 31 series 12 v connected for my 80lb terrova. Just bought a mk precision 3bank 5 amp charger. My father doesn’t believe it will have enough power to charge it overnight. What are the real world tests? The batteries have 1370 cold cranking amps and so if it was 10 hours of charge that would be only 50 amps charged? Not sure how tournament guys do it?

thanks for any info

Not sure about your specific charger but most chargers once they top off one battery the charger moves the amps to the other banks. And that's 5 amps per bank, and you won't be using all 1370 amps out of each battery, probably only half that or less.

3. Member
    Cranking amps are the numbers of amperes a lead-acid battery at 32 degrees F (0 degrees C) can deliver for 30 seconds and maintain at least 1.2 volts per cell (7.2 volts for a 12 volt battery). In other words, CA/cranking amps determine how much power you have to start your car in most climates.

The battery capacity is amp hour rating. this is the number used for charging. I once had a 3 bank 5amp per bank charger and it would charge group 27 105 amp hour batteries overnight.

4. Banned
    u should be fine it will just take an hour or longer more than a 10 per amp

5. Member
    Ok thanks guys

6. Member
    I have a guest charger 5 amps per lead & 2 leads with a group 24 crank & group 27 troll battery. It charges completely in about 6.5 hours if I fish most of the day. Very satisfied with this & so far it has been great.

7. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    A 5A charger will struggle to get a large battery charged overnight. A 5A charger will take twice as long as a 10A charger. Typically you’d see it take about 10 hours to recharge a group 31 AGM from 50% discharge with a 5A charger. A conventional battery would take several hours more.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    A 5A charger will struggle to get a large battery charged overnight. A 5A charger will take twice as long as a 10A charger. Typically you’d see it take about 10 hours to recharge a group 31 AGM from 50% discharge with a 5A charger. A conventional battery would take several hours more.
    Wot he said.^^^

9. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    See if you can return the 5 amp charger and get yourself a Dual Pro 15 amp per bank charger. With a Dual Pro, each bank is an individual 15 amp charger that is independent of each other. It will charge your batteries overnight without any problem. They have great customer service too.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain,CT.
    2000 R-81 Ranger, 2015 175 Pro-XS
    Disabled American Veterans, Life Member
    Vietnam Veterans of America, Life Member
    An Khe Vietnam, 66-67

Quote Originally Posted by bassnman81 View Post
    See if you can return the 5 amp charger and get yourself a Dual Pro 15 amp per bank charger. With a Dual Pro, each bank is an individual 15 amp charger that is independent of each other. It will charge your batteries overnight without any problem. They have great customer service too.
    bassnman8 is right. I have 3 bank 15 amp charger I my boat. I can run the TM hard all day, and be fully recharged in four-five hours. My 10 amp 2 bank in my old boat took much longer. IMO, 5 amp is too little, though the retail price is good.

11. Banned
    I use to have a dual pro 3 bank 5 amp per charger and never ever had a problem. I fish just as hard as a long a anyone else and never had a problem until it kick the bucket. I went with a Genius charger and the are 10 amps per. Got a great deal on them