Thread: Draining fuel

Draining fuel

I'd like to drain the old fuel from my Ranger with a Mercury 150HP, 4 stroke (SN#2B041203) and since it doesn't have a primer bulb, wondered how to do it without pulling the seats and center console so I can remove the sending unit and syphoning from there?
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Siphon is the best method. You likely will NOT be able to do this from the fuel line (as it should have an anti-siphon device of SOME sort in that circuit).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I ordered an electric siphon so I can drain from filler opening. It will come in handy for the mowers and snow blower also. I had tried one of the gravity siphons and couldn't keep it flowing through the filler opening.
    2015 Ranger Z118C w/150 Mercury 4s

4. 1sharphook
    I have successfully siphoned my 2013 Ranger Reata gas tank from the BOTTOM of the fuel filter.

I disconnect the bottom filter quick connect from my 150 FourStroke and ensure I don't let the bottom fuel hose fall into the engine. I then press the end of 5' of 3/8" clear vinyl tubing onto the bottom of the filter. From there, I connect a standard squeeze ball that is used to start the siphon. The outlet of the squeeze ball has another 3' of vinyl tubing then into my gas can.

The squeeze ball arrows must be horizontal or pointed UP in the tubing routing for it to draw gas and maintain the siphon. The clear vinyl tubing helps me see the strength of the siphon action. Occasionally it stops and can simply be restarted with the squeeze ball. The main gas cap is open to atmosphere during this activity. I use the trailer jack to tilt the boat to the position that allows me to remove the most gas.

Once this is done, I add enough Quikstor for 5 gallons of gas into only two FRESH gallons and pour it into my tank. I pull this treated fuel into the filter and reconnect everything. Lastly, I run the engine for 5 minutes on my water hose and then to storage for the winter.

I have done this every fall for 4 years now because my fuel can be several months old when it comes off the boat lift. Yes, it's regularly treated but the thought of old fuel still motivates me to remove as much as possible.

I hope this helps.