Cajun bilge pump

Just got a 91 cajun travis edition 178 bass boat. Would like to install bilge pump with auto/float switch. Does anyone know how/where to access pump?

2. Member
    Can't say exactly but it will be in the rear bilge area of the boat at the lowest point of the hull in order to suck up the most water.

3. Member
    A real Cajun would just use a coffee can unstead of a bilge pump.
    Last edited by Charles Prestridge; 04-07-2018 at 11:04 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    A real Cajun would just use a coffee can.
    You mean the toilet?

5. Member
    I had a 1990 178 ProSport Travis Edition with a Johnson GT150. It was my first brand new boat. I sure got a lot of use out of that boat. There is a bolt on top of the deck at the very back at each corner. It had a plastic head glued on it so you could loosen it by hand. Once you take those 2 bolts out the whole back deck will lift up on hinges that are attached right behind the seats. There is a rubber gasket under the deck so it may be a little tough to get it loose. You may have to use a small crowbar to get it loose. There should also be a handle on top of the deck on both sides at the very back so you can lift up the deck. There should also be a rod underneath that you can pull down to hold up the back deck. That deck is very heavy. You will then have access to everything. Good Luck
    Last edited by Mike2718; 04-07-2018 at 11:33 PM.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

6. Member
    Thanks, I have pulled that up but only see the batteries and charger. Have two live wells there as well. I think bilge pump is below that, but can’t see any way to get below small battery compartment.

7. Member
    Mine was a year older but was probably the same. My batteries sat on a carpet covered platform. The platform had 2 or 3 screws on each side close to the edge that held it in place. You’ll have to remove the batteries. Once you remove the platform, you will be able to get to the pumps and everything else.

Can you post some photos? It may refresh my memory. I haven’t had that boat in many many years.
    Last edited by Mike2718; 04-08-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

8. Member
    Thanks Mike, I can’t figure out how to download the picture but that makes sense. I will take a look this week. Will have to remove three batteries and and the oil pump I guess.

9. Member
    I also seem to remember the bottom piece is connected to the front and side walls with metal brackets. You will have to unscrew the floor from the brackets to remove it. You can just email photos or p.m. me if you prefer.
    Have a Blessed Day,
    Mike

10. Member
    Oldmanriver: Just be sure to mount the pump lower than the switch, (depending on the type of switch) or your pump may run constantly and burn out.