Oil question, need some help 250 Verado Pro

I just changed my oil in 2018 Verado Pro. I put in the required amount of oil and it's still below the cross marks on the dipstick. I have tilted the motor and let sit for over a minute 3 times and have done everything the manual says. I bought 2 gallon of oil and I have about 1/2 quart left in the 2nd gallon. Do I leave it or keep adding oil??? I have pictures of where the oil is on dipstick but this site is so hard to upload pics.....also could there be a possibility the oil gallons could have not been all the way full to 4 quarts
    Last edited by Eric521; 04-07-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    2021 Phoenix 921 Elite/Mercury 250 Pro XS

Did you change the filter too? I have run my for a few minutes on the hose than checked the oil after it settled to find it was the right quantity.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    Did you change the filter too? I have run my for a few minutes on the hose than checked the oil after it settled to find it was the right quantity.
    Yes changed the filter and ran it on the hose. Then let settle, even for an hour

Then add a little oil at a time and recheck. The verado dip stick does not take much oil to change the level on the stick. You are likely very close to the correct amount of oil.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iron banks View Post
    Then add a little oil at a time and recheck. The verado dip stick does not take much oil to change the level on the stick. You are likely very close to the correct amount of oil.
    That's what I will do. Add a little and check it. Thanks

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Keep in mind, you should run the engine up to temp, shut down, and then tilt motor UP to at least 20 degrees for a couple minutes.

Then return engine to LEVEL TRIM and wait at least 1 minute before re-checking oil.

Refer to the Engine Owner's Manual for oil level check instructions (may differ slightly but this is the general procedure).

NOTE: Oil level should be at 1/4 of the SAFE zone. DO NOT fill to the 'Full' mark.

Please see the ANNOUNCEMENTS at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 04-12-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    [QUOTE=EuropeanAM;9271922]

NOTE: Oil level should be at 1/4 of the SAFE zone. DO NOT fill to the 'Full' mark.
    [/QUOT]

Curious, how much oil is in the safe zone, ie between "add" and what we have always considered "full"?

How much oil is in the new "run" zone, ie 1/4 of the old safe zone? Depending on the shape of the pan 1/4 of the safe zone on the dipstick may or may not equate to 1/4 of the oil in the safe zone.

I am concerned about running the engine with very little safe margin of oil consumption as the hours build up. IE filled correctly before leaving and returning after a long run with the level below the add mark.

Why does Mercury have us guess at the "new full" mark, ie 1/4 full? Why not a safe zone marked ADD - FULL [1/4 of full] and a zone marked "drain/remove"?

Thank you for all the time you have spent supplying the readers with information.

8. Member
    Mine is now making oil. Level is all the way on the top full mark. Changing it tomorrow