2012 Z-9 gas fumes

Always smell gas when opening rear lids, not loosing fuel but always can smell it, anyone ever had thus issue
    thanks

2. Member
    Have you checked the vent line?

3. Member
    I use to have a skeeter zx 225 that was the same way I never did figure out why I always left the lids open when my boat was in the garage. Good luck
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by davethebuilder View Post
    I use to have a skeeter zx 225 that was the same way I never did figure out why I always left the lids open when my boat was in the garage. Good luck
    My zx225 was awful about this. My z19 hasn't done this as of yet.

5. Member
    Is there just one vent that goes to the outside of boat on pass side?, can you just blow air back thru to make sure it is open?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmo49 View Post
    Is there just one vent that goes to the outside of boat on pass side?, can you just blow air back thru to make sure it is open?
    I'm not sure that would work I always figured there was some sort of back flow preventer to keep water from getting to the tank. Not sure I guess you could try
    Dave
    2023 Ranger Z518/ Mercury 200 Pro XS

7. Member
    My 2008 Z9 does the exact same thing. Never found any leaks, vents are clear, lines are solid. Only thing I've found/read is that the tank itself is at fault by letting vapor permeate through the plastic. Not sure if true...but lack of anything else, makes sense. All I can do is keep lids open while stored. That, or replace the tank...yeah, not gonna happen!

8. Member
    It took my Z7 about a year to start doing it. I can't find a leak or where exactly its coming from. I've heard the same thing that the pores in the plastic let the odors through. I just leave some lids open and hope I never hear an explosion from the garage!

just leave your battery box lid cracked and it will not be bad.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

10. Member
    Yeah mine had a 'fume' odor to it for the longest. I replaced all the fuel lines, bulb, and bulb to pulse pump. Bought an Oetiker clamp tool and clamps to do the new bulb. (Bought all the hoses and bulb from Don Weed @ European Marine, forum sponsor.) After replacing the parts it's not as bad as it used to be.

Back last year someone mentioned that they were getting fumes from around the sending unit on the tank. (Wasn't a Nitro, but worth a look.) I though what the heck, it might be getting fumes there, but to the best of my sniffing skills it didn't seem to be coming from there. Honestly..... what is there now has to be coming from the vent. Tank has to be vented, and the vent is under the cap. It really doesn't bother me now though after changing out the lines it did cut down on it quite a bit. (FWIW, the old bulb could turn inside the hoses. The new one is tighter with the clamps I installed.)
    Later,

Dixie Chicken

12 Nitro Z9 DC, 4 Color Flake
    250 Pro XS, SmartCraft Gauges
    Bobs 12" w/Hole shot plate
    NightFishion HD8 rubrail, W/Nav Lights
    Oznium Red/Blue 10mm/6mm LED Bolts
    4-Channel Remote Lighting Control
    HDS Gen 3's, TotalScan, 3DSS
    Red Power Pole 10' Blades
    KVD Edition Hydrowave

11. Member
    I have my Z7 in my storage unit at the lake. I leave all my storage lids open to keep down the musky smell as well as gasoline odors. I have never had any problems with dust settling in my storage units, as the floor is paved in my unit. I think it is also easier on the pneumatic or hydraulic lid props that hold the lids open. I have never had to replace one on my 2009 Z7.

I had the same gasoline odor on the Skeeter I owned previous to moving up to my Nitro. I have a friend who owns a boat fiberglass repair shop. I asked him about the cause of the gasoline odor, and he said it became common way back when boat builders changed over from metal to synthetic gas tanks. He thinks the gas vapors actually seep through the synthetic gas tanks over time. Of course, there are other causes for the smells like those previously mentioned above.