merc 4 stroke question

I have a 2005 tracker v-18 with a 150 4 stroke merc. I’ve been going around 3-5 mph with it for a while and heard if I don’t go faster I could damage something?
    what rpm should I be in? What rpm should I stay away from?
    Any motor running tips?

2. Member
    Run the hell outta that thing once in awhile!!!

Don

3. Member
    Constant idling increases the amount of fuel that gets past the rings and into the oil. When the oil is diluted by fuel you're reducing its ability to lubricate the engine.
    Keep check on your oil level. If the level is climbing ( making oil) you need to make some long runs to keep the oil hot enough long enough to evaporate the fuel out of it. If you're not doing that on a regular basis you need to increase your oil change intervals to minimize the fuel contamination in the oil.

4. Member
    Thanks for the tips!
    what is a good rpm range?
    At what rpms should you slow down?
    im going to be googling this now but had no luck in the past finding this.

5. Banned
    Found this for you... Full throttle RPM should not exceed 5800 RPM. Check out this link...

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...specifications

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Announcements at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor