Swing Head Hooks / Bait Keepers?

Have a question about Swing Heads. I’ve tried them a few times but can’t seem to fish them for 5 minutes without my bait geting it’s pants pulled down. Does anyone fish these with something other than the offset worm hooks they come with? Is there a different hook you could recommend that keeps the head of the bait in place better without it sliding down from the eyelet? I’d really like to not have to resort to super glue, can’t seem to keep it from getting on my hands lol.

Never had that problem except with Elaztech baits. I've been using NMBA ones (board sponsor), but have used VMC and Gene Larew in the past without issue. What kind of swing heads?

You could try adding a bait keeper to the offset. Tons of videos out there showing it done with a piece of a fiber weed guard. I think Aaron Martens has one.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    VMC Swinging Rugby Jig Straight Shank

Here's a solution. This one comes with a straight shank hook. It's a quality hook too. I use these all the time and I have no problems with hook up ratio like I thought I would. These seem to come through cover a lot better than other brands too and the paint last A LOT longer. Highly recommended!

Get the fasttach ones and add whatever hook u like. Possible a grippin

5. Member
    X2

Never had that problem except with Elaztech baits. I've been using NMBA ones (board sponsor), but have used VMC and Gene Larew in the past without issue.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

6. Member
    I've been using the Freedom Tackle Hydra football heads. I will look up the videos you speak of thanks!

7. Member
    I use two. Picasso Fantasy Swinger(have to order them at home or on phone cause work computer blocks "Swinger.") and I also use the Strike King with the structure head. Really like the Picasso because the line tie is recessed. Have no issues with either on bait sliding down. My biggest issue on swingheads is the knot. It takes a ton of abuse. I've lost two good fish this spring because the knot broke. I retie and have gone to the doubled clench knot. That has helped.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

8. Member
    When you do have to use glue i highly recommend the gel type. No run or mess
    Dustin Davis
    Fish the days no one else wants to!!

2009 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha 4stroke
    Minn Kota Ultrex
    HDS Gen3 12/HDS Carbon 9

Quote Originally Posted by DustyD26 View Post
    When you do have to use glue i highly recommend the gel type. No run or mess
    Good advice. I also recall reading somewhere that while all super glue has a compound in it that hardens up in the presence of water, the gel types have much more of it. Not sure if that's accurate or not, but it definitely fits with my experience in that the gel types are much less finicky when applied to a damp hook or bait or when not allowed to dry completely before making a cast.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

10. Member
    Part of my issue with the glue is 1/2 the time it fuses the eye of the hook to the swing connection thus defeating the purpose of using a swing head. I've severely warped and even broken a few baits by trying to free up the glue connection of the hook to the swing wire. So I just took the glue out of the equation entirely. Probably something I'm doing wrong, but can't figure out what it is so that's why I'm looking for alternatives.

11. Member
    I've been looking around and I think I want to try this hook or some variation of an offset hook with that type of keeper:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/River...ge-R2SPTH.html

12. Member
    I am thinking I like the idea of these also. I wonder if there are any other swing heads made that will take a vertical line tie? This would be ideal if I could use my own twist lock hooks.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/6th_S...age-6SFJH.html

Sounds like way too much glue. I don't think I've ever had the glue get up onto the eye of the hook, let alone have enough to hinder the movement of the swing head. Just a little dot on the corner of 90 degree angle in the offset, slide the bait over it, and fish.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Yep, a little dab will do ya. When I use glue, I just buy the cheap stuff from the variety store...I think it's 4 or 5 tiny tubes for a buck or two. Or make that at Canadian Tire, for a Toonie. After the day is over, do yourself a favor and dispose of the tube with any leftover glue.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Musta...cpage-FOM.html. This is all you need. Pick your hook

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-C View Post
    http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Musta...cpage-FOM.html. This is all you need. Pick your hook
    Will this work for these hooks too? I feel like the hook would be prone to sticking in the side instead of the roof of their mouth.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner...page-OTLC.html

I believe you need a horizontal line eyelet or else the hook would be on the side. However a split ring should solve that issue.
    Last edited by Jesse-C; 04-13-2018 at 08:09 PM.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-C View Post
    I believe you need a horizontal line eyelet or else the hook would be on the side. However a split ring should solve that issue.
    Sorry I did forget to mention in original post. This was actually one of the first things I tried. Used this setup once but the ring came loose when a fish jumped! Reeled just the head back in perfectly intact. I am thinking this only happened due to the larger gap in the "o" of the ring than with the eye of a hook. So there was more room for play which caused it to slip out.