Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decisions decisions

Can’t decide on the axiom 9 or the helix mega si 9. Use side scan a lot and everyone says helix is better but how good is the 3D view? Is there a way of determining size in that mode? Is it useful in grass and weeds or it it just pixels everywhere with no way of telling what it is? Any advice.

thanks,
    Todd

2. Member
    3D is most useful when used in conjunction with SideVision and/or DownVision. It's best at showing bottom contour. Anything (fish, tree, ect) shows as a "dot" in 3D. It's easy to tell that suspended "dots" are fish, because they are suspended. Fish near bottom or trees near bottom might look very similar and the reason Side and/or Down provide a great other view to also use.

Images below show...
    * 3D creek channel
    * SideVision/Sonar/DownVision of shad ball with larger fish nearby

It's still snowy and cold in IL so I don't have many more images yet

Attached Images Attached Images

3. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I think you will find there are many more pros than cons with a Axiom unit. Sure the mega may be a little clearer but the quality of the Axiom is far superior and the Axiom is much more user friendly. You can see everything with the Axiom SideVision that you can see with the Humminbird. The Humminbird may show more detail but you will find it’s negligible. Go with the Axiom!

4. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Support after the sale is superior I believe with Raymarine. You won’t find the unit being replaced every few years or having to upgrade the unit for the next option or technology.

5. Member
    If I get a unit for the bow and 1 for console and network them, do I need to get both units with the 3D view or can I view the 3D view from the bow off the transom transducer? Thanks

Todd

6. Member
    RV-100 on the transom
    * Sonar
    * Down
    * Side
    *3D

CPT-100DVS on the bow
    * Sonar
    * down

any transducer view view can be seen on any unit.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RdnckYnkee250 View Post
    I think you will find there are many more pros than cons with a Axiom unit. Sure the mega may be a little clearer but the quality of the Axiom is far superior and the Axiom is much more user friendly. You can see everything with the Axiom SideVision that you can see with the Humminbird. The Humminbird may show more detail but you will find it’s negligible. Go with the Axiom!
    The people posting Humminbird Side Imaging is negligibly better than Axiom can meet me in Wisconsin this summer and compare your Axiom with my Helix 10. After two trips with my Helix 10, I can reliably tell you the fish species based on the fin and body profile of the side image shadow. I don't even have to use Mega imaging, regular 455kHz is very good too. Hummingbird side imaging has changed the way I fish, my old Axiom did not. And no I do not like everything about my Helix, I'd rather use the Axiom for everything else except imaging. The imaging on the birds is so good though, it's worth it.
    Last edited by smallykiller; 04-07-2018 at 10:21 PM.

8. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Smally, got any pictures of the side imaging where you can tell what fish it is??

9. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Post some pics. You’re the first person over ever heard say they could identify the fish by the fin shadow on side imaging? I’m anxiously awaiting the screenshots.

Quote Originally Posted by smallykiller View Post
    The people posting Humminbird Side Imaging is negligibly better than Axiom can meet me in Wisconsin this summer and compare your Axiom with my Helix 10. After two trips with my Helix 10, I can reliably tell you the fish species based on the fin and body profile of the side image shadow. I don't even have to use Mega imaging, regular 455kHz is very good too. Hummingbird side imaging has changed the way I fish, my old Axiom did not. And no I do not like everything about my Helix, I'd rather use the Axiom for everything else except imaging. The imaging on the birds is so good though, it's worth it.

10. Member
    Your seeing fins on a 10" graph in a side imaging view of a 10 to 20 inch fish. Yup, I am a believer.

11. Member
    I can’t speak for side, but 4 yellow fart bubbles on 3D is definitely a 6.27# largemouth

12. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Curt you you clearly don’t know your electronics. 4 yellow bubbles means it’s a 6.89 largemouth approximately 8 years old and 3 months give or take .1 ounces

Quote Originally Posted by Jig34 View Post
    I can’t speak for side, but 4 yellow fart bubbles on 3D is definitely a 6.27# largemouth

13. Member
    My business partner and I are working on a software mod for all the major graph manufactures. The new features will be a game changer for some, but not all. Our mod will place a label of any fishes weight, size, and species under the fish id image in your sonar panel. Right now we have it working on a Zercom flasher but are having some difficulty deciphering the difference between KY, Spots, and Alabama bass. We hope to have a pre-production model soon that we can demo. Stay tuned...
    Last edited by mrc; 04-08-2018 at 11:30 AM.

14. Member
    KY bass = relatives on the same bed
    AL bass have 3 teeth
    Spots - I got nothing
    Hope that helps - good luck
    Last edited by Jig34; 04-08-2018 at 12:21 PM.

15. Member

That's a carp. If you can't tell from the body profile and fins in the shadow, your blind.

16. Member

17. Member

18. Member

19. Member
    Pike or Musky. I will post clearer pictures tomorrow as the pictures are resized and have lost resolution. People on this forum may laugh at what I stated. I have not lied about my experience with Axiom or my Humminbird. I do not care about brands or pushing a certain product. If you want me to continue to prove I can identify fish with side vision, I will. When people ask about Axiom imaging performance compared to other brands, I will tell them exactly what to expect. People come to these forums to research what to buy, not to be lied to about one's capabilities.
    Last edited by smallykiller; 04-08-2018 at 02:39 PM.

20. Member
    I’m confused...are we lookin at carp, pike or musky?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast