Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    If you couldn’t see fish that big on your Axiom then you had it setup wrong. I will take some screenshots onece it gets warmer around here. I was marking schools of perch last year and you could see individual fish. How did I know they were perch? Because 20 of them would follow my bait up. I will have plenty more screenshots as the season goes on. I never disagreed that Mega has more clarity but my Axioms show fish and structure just fine and everything else about them is superior. I don’t know how many carp or musky or pike I will be able to screenshot but I’ll do my best.

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Well that’s one big ass fish in the first show to show up on a 60ft scale on your graph. How much zoom is on the box. Thought carp had a skinny tail then that, looks more like a salt water fish.

What kind of fish is in the middle two screen shots? Bill fish maybe in the last! Funny that the fish that looks like it’s turning would stay there in that position as it was scanned!! Maybe there logs??

I agree that the shadows narrow it down that their not bass or crappie, but that’s it. Think by the way they are grouped and relating to structure tells more.

3. Member
    These shots were taken on Fox River in Green Bay WI, notice the water temperature, freaking cold. Sorry, no saltwater fish and trees don't have fins. Didn't have to touch a setting to get these shots. I tried everything I could on my Axiom, could maybe see a few dots on this same body of water. I only used this helix for 2 days and was too busy catching walleye to play with it. If you'd like, I will properly install my helix, level transducer, on new boat and post more pictures of fish. I also want to see screenshots from axiom showing shadows of fish. I don't think I have ever seen one. If any of the Raymarine people want to jump in my boat and see why I'm pushing this helix, pm me and we can set something up.

4. Member
    Easy Smally...

1. You stated 455kHz, then posted a picture that clearly states you are in MEGA range
    2. You said you could identify fish, then state carp, pike or musky? Just looking for clarification
    3. Proper install, level transducer comment has me confused???
    4. Sorry no Saltwater fish? Not sure you want to head down the road comparing unit build and durability or 1 vs 3 year warranty.

Again, the shadows are nice

5. Member
    [QUOTE=Jig34;9261913]Easy Smally...

1. You stated 455kHz, then posted a picture that clearly states you are in MEGA range.
    -I didn't take screen shots of 455kHz yet, I tried it to get more range and was surprised by the clarity. I have barely used the helix, as it's basically winter here.
    2. You said you could identify fish, then state carp, pike or musky? Just looking for clarification
    - I will post a few shots I did take.
    3. Proper install, level transducer comment has me confused???
    -I do not have the helix installed on my normal boat as it is being rebuilt by Ranger. I quickly installed Helix on my old 14' aluminum boat. Didn't do what I consider proper setup of transducer where you level transducer to how boat sits in water. I also had interference because I had to use the 12V from my trolling motor battery. My side imaging clarity with helix was affected by this. I filtered some of the noise out but not 100%.
    4. Sorry no Saltwater fish? Not sure you want to head down the road comparing unit build and durability or 1 vs 3 year warranty.
    -I was responding to Hickory, he said the images looked like saltwater fish. I never stated Helix is better built than Axiom. Problem is build quality doesn't help me catch fish when I can't see them.

6. Member

THIS IS A CARP. A BIG ONE. In springtime here, rough fish such as carp congregate in same areas as walleye. Being able to differentiate between the species saves time. If you saw this shot on the 10" screen, there would be more detail and you could easily see the fins. You can just make them out here.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by smallykiller; 04-09-2018 at 12:54 PM.

7. Member

THIS IS A NORTHERN OR MUSKY. In fall when I fish for musky, it seems as if I will be able to scan the flats and easily identify if once again the fish are carp, rough fish or Musky based on the profile of the shadow. This shot was a picture taken with my phone and is very poor. Like I said, I have not properly vetted the Helix yet. Very limited time. Also notice the very bad noise from the PWM of the trolling motor.

8. Member
    Just so everyone knows, I am not trying to attack Raymarine. I hope Raymarine improves their product and I feel they will if they want to be competitive. It just irritates me when people come to a message board and ask about imaging performance between brands. In my first hand experience with both brands, it's not even close. I think it's almost cheating with the Helix. I was wowed by the Helix and left very frustrated by the Axiom. I'm hoping to make another fishing trip soon, if you'd like, I can actually try to tweak the Helix to get best imaging I can.

9. Member
    I appreciate the feedback Smally. Take care

10. Member
    Sorry guys, been bad busy last couple weeks. Think I need to add some comment here.

First, I for one really appreciate Smally's feedback and honest opinion. Mine is different, but I sincerely appreciate hearing from others. I would think the OP would as well.

My experience with HB is/has been; multiple fishing buddies with older 800/900 /1100 units, my prior boat with Helix 10's (non-mega) and another fishing buddy with new Helix 12's Mega.

I've seen some great images from all of those! And had planned to go back to Humminbird, but it took only one short ride-along with another friend with Axioms for me to make the decision to switch from my current Lowrance to Raymarine instead of going back to Humminbird; they were that impressive. Now, some truths:

1) Humminbird Mega will absolutely produce some fine images, particularly Side Images with great detail. MORE (at least of what it does show, get to that later) detail that the Axiom, period. And if Smally says he can identify the type of fish by the image and shadow I BELIEVE HIM and more power to him!

2) For ME and almost everyone I have ever fished with, talked with, etc., we are not trying to identify specific types of fish by their image and shadow (and couldn't most of the time!) but rather by location, orientation to surroundings and current, relationship to nearby cover, structure and other fish, etc. That said, in all honesty I felt more confident identifying the bass I caught during that ride around (posted in another thread here somewhere) with those Axioms than ANY other sonar I have ever sat behind. Partially due to the outstanding image clarity (there is a whole other discussion to be had on clarity, target separation, resolution, strength of return, return contrast, screen quality, etc. etc.) and also due to how easy it was to recognize the fish, how it was positioned, exactly where it was, etc.

3) So I will say, if you are the 1:10000 ?? who is able to identify specific types of fish, and that is actually useful to you in your environment, from the extra detail the HB *can* give you, then you may be a HB guy and that is great, carry on.

4) That said, if you want a unit that the vast majority (NOT ALL, that's ok!) with experience with both believe gives up NOTHING in our reality in this area but is superior in EVERY other regard, you REALLY owe it to yourself to check out the Axiom.
    Most of the benefits have been listed over and over so I will leave out the detail; longer warranty, longer support, better support, better build quality, faster, 3D, one transducer, etc. etc. etc.
    - And instead point out a few with specific interest to me, some as they related to that ride along:

ZERO LAG on ANYTHING so when we see something of interest I can change screens, change settings, zoom the map in or out, etc. to see things like the relationship to the channel break, any nearby brush piles, possible larger school, etc.

One of the most surprising aspects to me was that while I agree that the HB MEGA shows more detail for what it does actually show; we passed by docks, laydowns, brush piles, etc. that I have scanned many times over with Lowrance AND Humminbird and I was ABSOLUTELY able to see MORE information than ever before, period! Example; long dock in shallow water dropping to 14' just past the end, rode by and scanned nearly every time I have been there and had NEVER before seen the additional brush and two older poles from a previous dock nearly at the water's edge. But I did with that Axiom (on DEFAULT settings no less!), clear as day; and was able to identify a few small fish in there was well, AND easily see that nothing larger was holding near one of the pieces of cover.

Not sure what technology does this but while I was able to see more bottom detail than ever before as we rode around I was not seeing nearly all those extra returns from other garbage in the water column; no idea why but was just clearly better. And yes, have played with all the noise rejection, sensitivity, contrast, etc. settings on those prior units.

5) So, will add one last thought here in regards to my bad experience with Lowrance and great with Axioms vs. Smally's. Simply put, sometimes it comes down to the user! I know dozens of guys that get better results out of Lowrance than I have and I have tried! And I have been working in IT for nearly 30 years! So have a pretty good idea how to work on/adjust/etc. Just never jived for me. Humminbird on the other hand I was pleased with the results. But when I saw what to me were far superior results, AND I don't have to worry about which unit I turn on first, which model I have, which one are they going to release in a year to make mine 'obsolete', having a short warranty and short support life, etc. etc.; it was a no brain'r..... FOR ME.

Hope this helps someone out there. Take a ride with some guys with BOTH and LOOK FOR YOURSELF; I was BLOWN AWAY! I hope whomever reads this is blown away too and joins the Raymarine family but if not, no problem, guess that's why all of them are still in business and doing well.

Tight lines my bbc brothers!

11. Member
    Thanks so much for everyone’s opinions. I do believe I am pulling the trigger on 2 axioms which is a little scary since I have been a Humminbird customer for 29 yrs. A couple questions with axioms is if I put one on bow and 1 at console, I only need 1 transducer? If so, that means I don’t need 2 units with the 3D live. If I mark a waypoint at the console and then move to the bow, will the gps be accurate with my bow location or will it be off? Do people have transducers on transom and trolling motor. Thanks again.

Todd

12. Member
    Typical set up
    -03-NAG unit at console - transducer on transom
    -02 unit on bow with trolling motor transducer
    5M network cable

this allows you to share waypoints between units and and see any transducer view on either unit.

Any questions, email me.

Thanks,
    Curt

Curt Nowaskie
    National Sales Manager, Retail
    Raymarine
    Mobile: 603-809-5046
    Curt.Nowaskie@raymarine.com

13. Member
    How do I go about getting a transducer for trolling motor?

14. Member
    E70367-02 = $1,199.99
    AXIOM 9 RV Multifunction Display with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar and CPT-100DVS transducer

E70367-03-NAG = $1,649.99
    AXIOM 9 RV Multifunction Display with integrated RealVision 3D, 600W Sonar, RV-100 transducer and Navionics+ Charts

A80005 = $74.99
    RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) cable - 5m

15. Member
    Todd, that CPT-100DVS is what you put on your trolling motor; exact same combo for my bow. In fact exact same combo overall except I went with a 12" at the console; but that does add some considerable coin and the 9 is great; I just happened to be able to this time so I did.

*edit* OH! And add an in hull transducer and Y-cable if you need 2D on plane; Jig34 can get you lined out on that as well.

16. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    For the CPT-100DVS here is a mount for the trolling motor.
    I believe Raymarine has it also, But I couldn't find it on the website.

http://www.transducershieldandsaver....or-jack-plate/

17. Member
    So, Do I need this mount or can I mount it the way it comes? BTW I did make the purchase for the 2 units! Just waiting for delivery. Thanks for all the help.

Todd

18. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    For the trolling motor you need a mount, it comes with a transom mount.

Congrats on the new units Todd

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12