Thread: Gile Flowage

Gile Flowage

My family heads up to Iron county every year but have never been to the flowage. Has anyone fished here? Thinking about giving it a shot this year end of June.

2. Member
    I've never fished it that time of year, but it's a fun lake in the spring. There is a bar in the area that puts on a bass tourney every year towards the end of June and it normally takes some pretty good weight to win it. I think you'll have a good time.

Just check the water level (it is a flowage aterall) and be careful in areas if the water is down.

Good luck and report back how you do!

3. Member
    I've heard it's a beautiful lake. Will definitely pay attention to water level. Thanks!

I usually fish it in June and it is always a great time! You're gonna hit your trolling motor on some rocks now and then but long as you're careful nothing too major. Pretty much all I do is drag tubes and throw crankbaits and just have a blast! Pretty much of it looks smallmouthy it probably is.

5. Member
    Of note it's very dark water so you can't see the rocks yr going to hit.Go slow until you learn some routes to run.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruger04 View Post
    Of note it's very dark water so you can't see the rocks yr going to hit.Go slow until you learn some routes to run.
    Good info to have. Think this would have thrown me off once I got to the launch!

And remember just because you're in the middle of the flowage it DOES NOT mean that you're safe from rocks and dead heads.

8. Member
    I fished it twice a yr. Jigs and bandit crankbaits.

9. Member
    Flowage is full of smallies. Probably wont catch any 5 pounders, but tons of 3-4 pound fish. That open tournament is june 30 this year. Lake will have quite a bit of pressure the week before but fishing should still be great. Gile has a slot limit, 14-18" can't keep so tournament bags go off of 4 fish under 14 and 2 over 18. Lake isn't that hard to navigate if you watch your navionics.

10. Member
    Thanks for the info guys. Looking good forward to fishing it.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tundra1 View Post
    Flowage is full of smallies. Probably wont catch any 5 pounders, but tons of 3-4 pound fish. That open tournament is june 30 this year. Lake will have quite a bit of pressure the week before but fishing should still be great. Gile has a slot limit, 14-18" can't keep so tournament bags go off of 4 fish under 14 and 2 over 18. Lake isn't that hard to navigate if you watch your navionics.
    Great mention. I was wondering about Navionics on Gile - I can trust it? Navionics has been pretty good to me but I have found some major discrepancies on a few WI lakes. I get very nervous on dirty water with rock bars!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PhatSupraTT View Post
    Great mention. I was wondering about Navionics on Gile - I can trust it? Navionics has been pretty good to me but I have found some major discrepancies on a few WI lakes. I get very nervous on dirty water with rock bars!

Thanks!
    Don't trust it until you know it.

13. Member
    Is the lake pretty well marked or is it every man for himself? Definitely won't be flying around like an idiot.

14. Member
    Unless they changed it, in years past I don't recall anything being marked so it was every man for himself!

Quote Originally Posted by fencepanda View Post
    Is the lake pretty well marked or is it every man for himself? Definitely won't be flying around like an idiot.
    Some of the rocks are "marked" with prop and skeg scars lol but that's about it.