Getting an 250 SHO

If everything pans out, I will be getting a 2017 250 SHO in a couple of days. I know zero about these motors and have a couple of basic questions. What grade of gas is recommended? And I'm assuming I will need to use RingFree. If so, is it a different Ringfree than what goes in the 2 strokes?
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

2. Member
    Octane 89
    Ring Free is the same. It is reccommended but not required.

3. Member
    89 octane, preferably ethanol free. 91 octane runs great in them if you can find it. I would always run ring free as well as Yamahas fuel conditioner in every tank. Is the motor new or already broke in?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tablerockslinger View Post
    89 octane, preferably ethanol free. 91 octane runs great in them if you can find it. I would always run ring free as well as Yamahas fuel conditioner in every tank. Is the motor new or already broke in?
    Already broken in. 40 hours on the clock.
    17 Ranger Z520c Black Out Edition
    Yamaha 250 SHO

5. Member
    Tone 357, You are going to love that motor. I traded in my 250 VMax 2 stroke for the 250 SHO in 2015 and now have about 500 hours on it and love not having to buy 2 stroke oil anymore. Plus getting rid of the oil tank freed up space. Also I run regular 89 octane and it works well but I might try running 91 octane per Tablerockslingers post to see if I notice any difference in performance.

Regards,

Bob in SW Michigan

6. Member
    I personally found that the motor ran better with 89 than 91 octane.

7. Banned
    My 2ć on the SHO.
    The multi variable control systems give this large block loads of low end torque. Hense the reason the Yamaha T-1 props are so thick and heavy. A lower pitch 4 blade Yamaha T-1 prop will allow you to walk the boat over and around all those rough waves.
    The mid speed is also loaded up to give you the ability to keep your boat on plain at low speeds. Then the top end is awesome responsive and enjoyable to drive. Personally I like my "hotfoot" as I can keep both hands on the steering wheel while I am running riding and steering around the waves and obstacles.
    As for fuel, 89 Octane fuel is what the motor is designed to use. Ringfree is great additive. Always keep a steady supply of Ethonal Stablizer with you for every fuel tank top up.
    Keep engine oil at mid level in dipstick.
    Iridium NGK plugs are the only upgrade I would recommend.
    I would recommend the T-1 23 3blade or T-1 22 fourblade prop. You won't run 90MPH but you will get to 70 in a heartbeat
    Enjoy the rush....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    I personally found that the motor ran better with 89 than 91 octane.
    In what way? Was there better acceleration, better WOT speed or ???

Seems backwards from what might be expected.

9. Member
    From Yamaha

10. Member
    Yes Yamaha does recommend 89, as a minimum rating. They also recommend no ethanol. Where I'm at we only have 91 ethanol free so we run that in them and don't have probs. I can't personally compare it to 89