Breaking In A New Yamama Sho- Question

I know that this has probably been covered a thousand times. But after the first two initial hours of break in, have you all found that the next couple hours need to be run in the 4500-5500 range, 20-30 minutes at a time will help to quickly seat the rings? This is my first time breaking in a Sho motor and I really want to do this right. Thank for the input guys.

2. Member
    It says you can run it however but wot no more than 5 minutes. Don't hold any one rpm to long and go run it. I didn't just go crazy until about 5 hours. After that I ran it wot and would drop rpms for a few seconds then right back in it. Made sure I did some long runs every trip until I was sure it was done making oil

3. Member
    I tried to run mine at 5k or more as much as I could. Don't lug it around trimmed down with the pedal mashed like you would a 2 stroke. Youll flood the cylinders with fuel, make a bunch of oil, and keep the cylinders from getting hot enough to seat the rings.
    Trim it up when you run it. If you give it more gas and the rpms don't go up accordingly, either trim up more or back out of the throttle some.
    Thats how I did mine and I hardly made any oil.

4. Member
    I tell all my customers after the first hour to go and run however you want except don't go wot more than a football field length till 10 hrs. Run it hard though and run it long runs at a time. We have found that works great for most our customers but a few still make oil for some extra hours.

5. Member
    I have a brand new SHO 200 with about 5-6 hours on it so far. The first hour I did not exceed 2000 rpm and varied the speed. Second hour I did not exceed 3500. I just got it on plane and tried to keep it there and vary the speed. And I did both hours within two days. Once I got to hour 3 the first thing I did was get it to full throttle and then slowed down. All during that hour I would get up to full or almost full throttle as much as I could and also vary my speed. Since then I have just ran it how I want without going full throttle for any length of time. Actually I have lost track of the hours at this point. These were the instructions from my dealer and according to Yamaha. When I picked up the boat I had the dealer show me the oil on the stick and it was at a little over half. I have checked it twice now and it's still there. Hope it stays that way until my 10-20 hour service.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tablerockslinger View Post
    I tell all my customers after the first hour to go and run however you want except don't go wot more than a football field length till 10 hrs. Run it hard though and run it long runs at a time. We have found that works great for most our customers but a few still make oil for some extra hours.
    Can you enlighten me on something?

A Football field (100yrds)at 70 mph is 3 sec, but you tell them to run it long and hard? Yamaha says no more than 5,000 RPMs for no more than 5min. Why do you suggest such short runs during the first 10hrs?

7. Member
    Yes run it long and hard. We've had the best luck getting them broke in by doing your break in all in one day without ever stopping and turning motor off. First hr only idle, no getting on plane. After that get on plane and vary rpm's. Yes Yamaha does say that and that's what we do. Run it above 5000 for 5 mins with going wot a few times but no more than a football field. Yes that is a quick distance but has worked great for us. After 5 mins run between 3-4000 rpm's for 5 mins than bring it back up above 5000 for 5 mins. Keep repeating till you have 10 hrs in. After that I like to change oil than get a full tank of fuel and go run the entire tank through it and run the heck out of the motor. Just spend the time it takes to run that tank empty going fast! This is what the SHO was made for. Running hard and fast! Fisherman are the hardest on engines cause we make short runs to 100 different spots for the day. Get it broke in right and it'll make lots of short runs for many years to come.

8. Member
    Followed the direction of my dealer and ran by the book for first hour. Hours 2-10, ran hard for 30-45 minutes (get motor hot) then stop and fish for 30-45 minutes (let motor cool down). This was his direction to seat the rings. No idea if that is right or wrong but 200 hours and never made a single drop of Oil or been in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance. So far, best motor I have ever owned!

9. Member
    There's definitely more than one way to skin a cat. I talk to many different techs from across the country when I'm at Yamaha school and each one has their way of doing things. Some like us, others completely different. My boss just had a way he liked it done and that's the way I have them do it now also. It has worked well for us.

10. Member
    I appreciate all the replies. It seems I was pretty well on track. I’ll wait for the snow to quit falling Saturday then start breaking her in Sunday. Thanks again