fuel prime question

Hello guys I have couple questions i i recently started having a issue with my primer bulb going flat after a run. I have a 150 xr6 on a trion 186 it seems even after a short run i have to squeeze it a bunch to prime it up. I thought maybe check valve went in the bulb even though its not a year old i had my whole fuel system replaced less then year ago all new lines and hoses clamps etc. so replaced bulb and nothing same issue i dont see any gas leak anywhere is there a check valve in my main tank maybe that maybe not working and alowing all the gas to flow back into tank? The primer bulb should always stays firm or at least solid correct?

2. Member
    Check tank vent tube, probably plugged up...you can also try running it with gas cap lose to see if that helps.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

3. Member
    I should add i have no issues while running after i pump ball only after i want to restart ball is complely empty usaully

4. Member
    Check your fuel pump diaphragm may be getting air, that was the problem with my xr6

5. Member
    ^^^^^^ quite possible
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    and once it gets primed thats why i dont have issue running correct?

7. Member
    yes sir, or check valves just not sealing completely in pump
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    Is that common in fuel pumps its just a year old?

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the ANNOUNCEMENTS at the top of the Forum, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

Primer bulb should be pumped firm before EVERY engine start. That's it's purpose.

Make sure ALL recommended items in the following link were addressed:

FUEL LINES AND PERFORMANCE PROBLEMS

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor