Banned

Will doing initial fluid changes have issues with warranty???

Not even close to doing them yet, but before i order some oil, I was wondering what you guys have heard? Will doing it yourself possibly void warranty?
    Motor is a 2017 Suzuki 140A.
    I really don't want to pay $300 for something I can do for well under $100...

2. Member
    From what I understand, no. I did mine for the same reason. I did suck it up a little and purchased all my stuff from Brown’s so I have a receipt of all the actual suzuki fluids, impeller, oil filter, fuel filter, etc that I bout for the service just in case though. Probably gave away a lottle money there but worth it in my opinion if anything goes south.

My bill was close to $200 but I also bout the service manual for mine too which isn’t cheap.

3. Banned
    here's a promotion that Suzuki is running now (guess it replaced the free 3 yr extended warranty that ended 2/31/2018), and in it, it says the "20 hr initial service" consists of:

1) Replace engine oil and filter
    2) Replace lower unit gear oil
    3) Inspect breather and fuel line
    4) Inspect idle speed
    5) Inspect propeller nut and cotter pin

http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/...44511FBAC.ashx

that's all they do???

4. Banned
    The first service is essentially an oil/filter change and changing the lower unit grease. If the boat is running perfectly, is there any reason to waste a dealer technician's $110 per hour time?

I did the change on my Yamaha in 30 minutes for $39. I cross referenced the OEM oil filter and found it is the same as a Ford Focus 2.0 filter. I used 10w30 dino auto oil per my dealer's instructions. I have since switched to Mobil 1 EP, a superior oil by any standards.

I trimmed my motor very high and let it drain 30 seconds before dropping the engine level. I started by draining the lower unit (into a Wal-Mart plastic kiddie pool) looking for water intrusion and metal shavings. Then I drain the oil. My Wal-Mart carries marine oil, lower unit grease and filters so much cheaper than dealers.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    here's a promotion that Suzuki is running now (guess it replaced the free 3 yr extended warranty that ended 2/31/2018), and in it, it says the "20 hr initial service" consists of:

1) Replace engine oil and filter
    2) Replace lower unit gear oil
    3) Inspect breather and fuel line
    4) Inspect idle speed
    5) Inspect propeller nut and cotter pin

http://www.suzukimarine.com/~/media/...44511FBAC.ashx

that's all they do???
    that and you are supposed to “check” tightness of bolts, etc. Not very mich to it outside of cycling fluids. I bought my boat back in Aug of ‘16 and just got to 15 hours so I’m not even to 20 yet. Having owned it that long is why I changed my impeller and did the extra stuff. That’s all the initial one really calls for though.