BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar

Trailer Tires vs Car Tires

So I’ve been doing a lot of research over the last week on trailer tires. I want to upgrade my current stock 205/75r14 tires and wheels to a 16x8 or 17” rim. I can’t seen to find any trailer tires that will fit this and keep my diameter within an 1” of the current 26” diameter. I posted in a couple other forums and it seems the new trailers are coming with car tires on them. These particular tires can be inflated to 50 psi but my understanding is they are 4 ply instead of the load range C 6 ply that’s already on my trailer. Can these passenger tires be used without worrying about blowouts? Am I missing something and need to search elsewhere? I obviously don’t want to cause any issues because I travel 300 miles every other weekend to Champlain. I don’t know anyone that runs the new Phoenix trailers or Legend trailers with 17” rims but I wonder if they’ve had any trouble. Thanks!
    Steve

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I went from 14" to 17" on my Ranger trail you can run automotive tires however what you have to look for is the weight rating of the tire. I went with a XL tire (Xtra load) this got me very close to the weight capacity of my stock 14" tire. Was able to keep the height and width exactly the same ( yes I have a lower profile tire now). I basically just Plus sized. Have ran them for 2 seasons now and about 3000 plus miles with no issues. Tire was a 215/55R17XL wheels were a 17x7 0 offset 5x4.5 bolt pattern. Bass Cats were coming with passenger car tires right from the factory I believe not sure if they still are. Nice thing is they are speed rated unlike trailer tires.

3. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Ok that makes me feel better. After researching it looked like the XL would be sufficient. What brand and model tire did you go with?

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    text responded to with info

5. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    I dont run low profile but I have run Coopers or Kellys on every boat for 22 years, I have them high speed balanced. coopers have a stiff side wall and can run at 35PSI, I run at 42
    I dont have any experience with low profile tires but I assume most are car tires
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

6. Banned
    I have a HD trailer with ST tires--16 inch. They were replaced Day One with Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT/E rated ribbed tires commonly seen on F550's with utility beds.

I would not replace tires in a much different diameter unless they are much heavier and higher quality. 14 inch tires are downright hard to find since no new cars/trucks use them. 15 inches are easily found, however.

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
    I have a HD trailer with ST tires--16 inch. They were replaced Day One with Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT/E rated ribbed tires commonly seen on F550's with utility beds.

I would not replace tires in a much different diameter unless they are much heavier and higher quality. 14 inch tires are downright hard to find since no new cars/trucks use them. 15 inches are easily found, however.
    hes wanting to go with 17 inch so wont be an issue finding a passenger car tire with the correct load capacity

8. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    I think I have found what I want. Going to run a 16x8 rim with 215/65r16 XL rated tires. I am going to have one fitted first to make sure they work out. I will post pics and my experience once they are all installed

Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    hes wanting to go with 17 inch so wont be an issue finding a passenger car tire with the correct load capacity

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    I dont run low profile but I have run Coopers or Kellys on every boat for 22 years, I have them high speed balanced. coopers have a stiff side wall and can run at 35PSI, I run at 42
    I dont have any experience with low profile tires but I assume most are car tires
    Best boat trailer tire out there!

10. BBC SPONSOR BassFishin Electronics's Avatar
    Just got my new rims and tires in today! They fit perfect and I love the look. I will provide some feedback on towing once I get some miles on them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RdnckYnkee250 View Post
    Just got my new rims and tires in today! They fit perfect and I love the look. I will provide some feedback on towing once I get some miles on them.
    look great!